Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Things I would like Lee Valley (or someone) to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer View Post
    How about a proper striking knife - like:

http://adamcherubini.com/Layout.html

Granted - the "modern" knives are good. But I'll bet that LV can take the classic and bring it into the 21st century as a "modern classic".

bd

Ouch.

We used to sell a British version of that design - but with a chevron tip - and wooden scales...

It should almost be called a Poking Knife, instead of a striking knife.... handle one long enough, and the end you're not using is guaranteed to poke you somewhere....

Cheers -

Rob

I think I have that old knife,bought from Wood Craft in the 60's. Awl blade on 1 end,knife on the other,rosewood handles ?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I think I have that old knife,bought from Wood Craft in the 60's. Awl blade on 1 end,knife on the other,rosewood handles ?
    Probably the same one... Made by WH Clay, 5"-6" in length.....in later years, the reddish brown lacquer was sometimes oversprayed onto the blades....

Granted - the "modern" knives are good. But I'll bet that LV can take the classic and bring it into the 21st century as a "modern classic".

bd
    With a hacksaw, a belt sander, a file and a torch, anyone should be able to make one of those out of O1 stock in less than an hour. It's an option if you want to see it sold at LV's prices.

I'm sure adam makes them old school, and he's gotta be paid for his time if he's going to do it.

But you can do it on your own time and do a respectable job on the first try - certainly something nice enough to use.

1/8" O1 bar stock from mcmaster carr is one of the handiest consumables to have around the shop.

Rob, just to tag on here, now that you offer O-1 on your new skew block plane, any chance it will be offered soon on the skewed rebate? I'm ready when you are!

Thanks.
    Kevin

P.S. And you may not remember, but thanks to you, I have what I think was the "last" Tucker in my shop right now. What a great vice that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Rob, just to tag on here, now that you offer O-1 on your new skew block plane, any chance it will be offered soon on the skewed rebate? I'm ready when you are!

Thanks.
    Kevin

P.S. And you may not remember, but thanks to you, I have what I think was the "last" Tucker in my shop right now. What a great vice that is!
    Hi Kevin -

Will have to check that for you . there's no reason we won't (eventually!) have 'em... just takes time to get into the queue...

Tucker vise - did you see what they go for on eBay?? Glad to hear you're using it... !

Cheers -

Rob

I too would like to see:

A DIY Treadle Lathe kits or plans

A redo of the stanley 444 ( something that is not over a grand )

I have several stanley 55's, a redo of that would be cool

Perhaps LN could remake the stanley 278, I love mine.

I also love my stanley 77, I would love to see a newer version of that !!!

I am sure I can come up with many more !

So Many Toys To Drewl Over !!!

.. so no chance of the air hose then?

bd
    Adam had an article in Popular Woodworking about making a knife like that starting with an inexpensive spade bit. Grind the ends to the appropriate shapes.

My Marking knives made from old saw blades, the one on the bottom gets used the most, both are only sharpened from one side.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

My knife is similar to Harry's knife on the left.

A+ on the #444
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

If no one has said it, a reasonably priced saw sharpening vise.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Tom,

What do you consider "reasonable"?

Have you checked out TFWW? They have a pretty good one for $120 plus shipping cost. They came out with it last year. People I've talked to who bought one really like it. It has 14" jaws so you only have to move your saw blade once per pass. If I didn't already have a good vise, I think I'd get one, then paint it John Deere green.

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Hi David, how ya do'n? Haven't seen you in awhile.

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~