Thread: 3M PPS System, Anyone?

3M PPS System, Anyone?

We aren't a woodworking shop, we do some light painting in our sign business, but we found something that might be useful to many of you finishing. I assume it will work and many of you may already be aware of it, so forgive me. The name for it is short, too short for the search function to use.

It's the 3M PPS system, and it's a series of disposable cups for finishing. It's a plastic cup housing, and then it's got what's just a little thicker than a plastic bag as a liner. When you are done, you just pull out the liner and throw it away. It's a very nice system and requires very little clean up. You also get caps to put on it so you can store product for short periods of time.

The part that I think helps me the most is that you can turn your gravity fed gun upside down, pull the trigger, and it'll collapse the bag of finish, pulling all the air out, which means you can paint or finish upside down with your gravity feed gun.

Clean up means you only have to clean from the connector to the tip of the gun. So a cap full of product is all that's required for a clean up, as opposed to having to clean the entire cup.

They aren't the cheapest thing on the market and there are competitors out there for less, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone was interested.

I can't imagine painting without it now. If you haven't seen it and do a lot of finishing, it might be working looking into.

We get ours from the local automotive paint store.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    <snip>
    The part that I think helps me the most is that you can turn your gravity fed gun upside down, pull the trigger, and it'll collapse the bag of finish, pulling all the air out, which means you can paint or finish upside down with your gravity feed gun.<snip>
    I'm just a hobbiest and a big fan of this feature, too (under the gun cup in my case but same collapsing fluid container feature). I bought mine from Homestead.

I got a set at the last wood show. MUCH better than the regular metal cup. Being able to tip the gun anyway you want is great.

I bought the small size , but I'm going to buy the larger set to avoid the refills on the bigger jobs.

James

I've seen it used at a friend's place. Its on my list. Pretty slick system.