Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about z axis height

Question about z axis height

The routers I'm looking out max out at about 4" z axis. If I want to make a part 3 inches tall, do I have the clearance I need?
    Thanks.

That really depends on the specific machine, and how you mount your part.

Does the machine have 4" of travel? If so, how much clearance does it have? Do you need to mount a spoilboard to the bed, and does that take away from your travel, clearance?

How long of a tool will you use? Will the tool clear the part?

It's really a complicated question, without knowing all the details of what you're doing.

Thanks Gerry. The zenbot 2424 says it has 4" travel. I'm specifically thinking of making ukulele necks, which have three inch tall heels (at the tallest--most will be more like 2.5"). I think I'll be using a .25" end mill for roughing followed by a .125" ball nose for finishing. Does that help?
    Last edited by Matt Clara; 04-12-2010 at 9:57 PM. Reason: i suck at names. even when they're printed right in front of me, apparently... ;)

Not really. If you have 4" of travel, you should be able to cut 3" parts. But I can't tell you for sure.

You also need to consider whether you'll have enough clearance to cut such a tall part. Most small ballnose bits won't be more than 1.5-2" long. On a 3" part, there's a good chance the collet could interfere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Not really. If you have 4" of travel, you should be able to cut 3" parts. But I can't tell you for sure.

You also need to consider whether you'll have enough clearance to cut such a tall part. Most small ballnose bits won't be more than 1.5-2" long. On a 3" part, there's a good chance the collet could interfere.
    Forgive my ignorance: define "clearance" for me, please. Is that just a little free space above the work itself?

make sure the listed height is nominal with the thickness of your sacrificial table included.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

The problem that you may run into is that you need a certain clearance under the gantry to cut your part - 3" plus in your case. Now you need a 3"+ long bit to profile it. Along with having that 3"+ bit, you need to fully retract that Bit above the surface of the part being cut. This results in needing 6" to 7" of actual Z travel...
    you are really going to need a sketch or drawing of the machine's Z axis and how it travels to determine if it will meet your needs.
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

You need enough z-axis travel for the thickness of the blank that you will be using (say 3") and enough clearance under the tool for the blank (say 3").

That does not mean that you need 6" of z-axis travel, but 6" clearance from the bottom of the collet to the table (or mounting plane of the blank).

So, you need to put the tool in the collet, raise the z-axis to it's highest point and see if there is enough clearance under the tool for your blank.

If so, you're good to go.

material thickness + bit length below collet + rapid clearance gap. and not touch the limit switch!!

In other words, it's likely that none of the units I am budgeting for can do what I need them to do. Son of a gun.

You can possibly move the router in it's mount to gain additional clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    You can possibly move the router in it's mount to gain additional clearance.
    I wrote Zenbot, told them what I want to do, and they said their units would do it, no modification required.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    I wrote Zenbot, told them what I want to do, and they said their units would do it, no modification required.
    If it were me, I would ask them to setup a machine to do the process and send you a video of it actually performing the task. Not that a salesman would lie to get a sale... I'm just sayin...

Gantry Height

Matt

I think Rob hit it. Not only does your z axis need to be high enough, since your part is long, the gantry will have to pass over the part also and on many machines the gantry height is less than the z axis movement. If your part can be oriented along the y axis, then this won't matter as the gantry won't go over the part.

Jerre.

On the new stinger you get 5" from table top to gantry the over all travel of the Z axis is over 8.5" this means you at max height can have a 2.5" bit and still clear the gantry.

All of this means your 3" part can be milled on the stinger without a problem.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools