Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have an extra bowl?

Robert, I put a turkey call in the mail today.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    Robert, I put a turkey call in the mail today.
    Jack
    Thanks, Jack!

William - PM sent

I have actually learned a lot with just the first few items received, turning wise that is. I never realized how thin "thin" can be (Smith and Schlumpf vases), how a really nice finish sets off the bowl (De Masi), and how to make the most of a super nice piece of wood (Keeton and Smith). It is kind of cool to inspect other people's work up close.
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 04-21-2010 at 8:12 PM.

Glad all arrived in one piece Robert. I was a bit concerned about the NE but I hoped that there were enough shaving in there to help cushion it some.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

So, Tony sent a load of mulch with his in an effort to gain extra points for packaging!! Shrewd, but no match for Schlumpf!!

Robert.....Could you use a nice peppermill for your auction?

Cheers!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    So, Tony sent a load of mulch with his in an effort to gain extra points for packaging!! Shrewd, but no match for Schlumpf!!
    I was going to mention that (my wife says I have no tact), but decided not to. But yes, Tony could eeeeeeasily win the most resourceful packaging award. Turn a bowl, catch the shavings in a box, pack the bowl in the shavings, ship it.

If I'd have known that there were going to be awards given out then I would have tried harder.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

If I knew the rules ahead of time - and that you could use 'shavings' - I would have shipped it in a BIGGER box!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, I don't know about you, but I am going to jump the gun and catch up with De Masi! The truck goes out tomorrow with my mulch..uuhh...shavings!! Note I said truck, not box!

Robert, sounds like you are getting great response! Did you get back with Greg on the peppermill??

Come on Steve....we know your neighbors want that mulch!...Bill..

John - I am just bummed.... if I had known I could have used shavings...

Oh well, at least my bubble wrap had not been popped!

Next time I will take my turning to a professional wrapping place and have it gift wrapped! Lets see Tony compete with that!
    Steve

Steve, growing up in New England and being a thrifty yankee ya use what ya got. Why would you buy bubble wrap when you have all those nice shavings under that lathe?

John, ya better make it a big truck. It's going to rain here all weekend and I've got ten blanks, walnut and cedar, just waiting on me. I think I'll use my new Grumbine technique to make those really big, fat, wet, shavings. If you want I'll send you a box too

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Steve, growing up in New England and being a thrifty yankee ya use what ya got. Why would you buy bubble wrap when you have all those nice shavings under that lathe?
    Not my lathe! When I get done - everything is hauled out to the compost! I did have bubble wrap and some foam left over from replacing my computer - so, in true Yankee fashion - I used what I had.

However - if I had known there was going to be a packing competition - I would have thrown a bow into the box!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note - I am really happy to see all the support for a worthy cause. I will be real interested in seeing how everything turns out as far as the action.

Thanks - Robert - for putting all this together! It's been fun!
    Steve

Robert......Peppermill and PM sent!......via UPS

Cheers!

I am sorry that I have not updated this for a couple of days, but if I knew how busy you were after you retired, I might have tried to work a little longer! (Not really, but that sounds good!)

Items received Thursday 4/23:

Jeff Nicol - Black cherry burl bowl and a NE maple bowl
    Bernie Weishapl - a pen, lidded box, and a box elder bowl
    Ron Erickson - Walnut hollow form and a walnut bowl
    Bill Bullock - Matching salt and pepper mills, hand-painted bowl, toothpick holder

Items received Friday 4/24:

Jack Mincey - Turkey call

Items received Monday 4/27:

David Keller - Pen and lidded box
    Louis Harvill - set of matching goblets, 2 other goblets and candle holder
    William Bolen - Pen, lidded box, walnut hollow form, cherry bowl

If you still want to participate, anything mailed by this Friday should arrive in time, but after that I will be unable to deliver them in time for the auction. I really, really, really, want to thank everyone for all of the time and effort they have put into this. The benefactor of the auction (Amberlyn) went back into the hospital with a few problems this weekend, but hopefully will not be in there that long. If you skipped to the end of this thread, Amberlyn's mother posted a thank you in the middle of the thread. She really does appreciate all that everyone has done!