Thread: Help finding cyclone DC with no filter

Help finding cyclone DC with no filter

Hi -

I've already leaned on the expertise of this group to help think though DC setup for 1/2 of a large garage with easy underfloor access. Seems that best, but not least expensive, solution is 2HP cyclone with dust exhausted outside.

Assuming I understand the advice, I'm looking for a cyclone solution without the filter. After much searching, I'm having trouble finding cyclones without the filters and would appreciate any suggestions. Obviously, my hope is that absence of the filter will take the cost down and make this a more viable (i.e. affordable) option.

And, I guess a side question: Does the absence of the filter change the 2HP requirement since filters increase resistance?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

Ken.

When I bought my ClearVue, it came without filters. I think they offer the filters now, but I'm sure you could get it without. I exhaust outside with no ill side effects. I use an 8-6-6 wye on the exhaust. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Some guy on the 'bay sells cyclones. Several have posted good things about them on SMC. Just checked, I see it posted for $189. I searched for "cyclone dust"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cohen View Post
    Hi -

I've already leaned on the expertise of this group to help think though DC setup for 1/2 of a large garage with easy underfloor access. Seems that best, but not least expensive, solution is 2HP cyclone with dust exhausted outside.

Assuming I understand the advice, I'm looking for a cyclone solution without the filter. After much searching, I'm having trouble finding cyclones without the filters and would appreciate any suggestions. Obviously, my hope is that absence of the filter will take the cost down and make this a more viable (i.e. affordable) option.

And, I guess a side question: Does the absence of the filter change the 2HP requirement since filters increase resistance?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

Ken.

Using no filters will greatly increase your airflow.

I exhaust outside, but just use the standard bag ring from a dust collector with a Phil Thien baffle inside it. I considered building a cyclone, but if you aren't worried about clogging up your filters, there's really no reason you need that extra bit of separation. A simple trash-can separator with a Thien baffle in it will take out nearly everything - nothing visible escapes out my exhaust.

Wow. Thanks for the tip. You probably just saved me ~$50.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Some guy on the 'bay sells cyclones. Several have posted good things about them on SMC. Just checked, I see it posted for $189. I searched for "cyclone dust"

Here's a thread referring to the very one Ya'll are talking about... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133177

I personally having done research on both this and Phil Thien's separator, since I will be venting outside, I am leaning towards Phil's design. It fits my situation well and the price is right (materials and a little bit of time). By the way the discussion forum on his website is a priceless resource!

You can purchase pretty much every Onieda cyclone without filters if you choose...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Using no filters will greatly increase your airflow.
    Interestingly enough back in the day when the test group was working with Bill Pentz on his cyclone, we tested with the Wynn filters and found that they have virtually no resistance when they were fairly clean. That is the main reason that I have never really pursued exhausting outside.

FWIW,

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

filters only restrict airflow if they are clogged or too small for the job. most dc's sold don't have enough filter median and they do reduce airflow.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    filters only restrict airflow if they are clogged or too small for the job. most dc's sold don't have enough filter median and they do reduce airflow.
    And . . . since no cyclone or other separator is 100% efficient or even close, the filter starts clogging from the get go. Initially it will clog with VERY fine, invisible dust, much of it will be permanently embedded in the filter media. As the air passages become more and more clogged the separation efficiency will continue to degrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Here's a thread referring to the very one Ya'll are talking about... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133177

I personally having done research on both this and Phil Thien's separator, since I will be venting outside, I am leaning towards Phil's design. It fits my situation well and the price is right (materials and a little bit of time). By the way the discussion forum on his website is a priceless resource!
    Thanks for posting that link, I was too lazy to find it. Mostly because I found several delta dust collectors at a super clearance price at Lowe's, I'm looking at Phil's baffle too. It's tailor made to sit in that spot on the dust collector cart just below the intake...

Jerome, check out Thiens discussion board, there is a guy there that built a Topper based on the concept for 6" ducting, It is what I am going to build