Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing rosin from blades

This thread seems to come up about every month or two. I think the discussions in the links below pretty well sum up the effects (or lack) of using oven cleaner.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...aw-blades.html

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...n-Cleaner.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    This thread seems to come up about every month or two. I think the discussions in the links below pretty well sum up the effects (or lack) of using oven cleaner.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...aw-blades.html

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...n-Cleaner.html

Thanks for those links. Pretty well settles the question for me.

Blade Cleaner

Years ago I got some used lacquer thinner from an auto body shop. I pour a little of this unusable thinner in a metal tray, drop the blade in and 10 minutes later the blade is very clean. Pour the lacquer thinner back in the bottle till next time. No effect on braze points.

Downside: it will take the cute paint job off of your blade. I forget what blade I have(Infinity???) but it sure is clean.

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    "Reuzit"

Water based, non-fuming, works almost instantly. Very cheap since a gallon will last forever. You'll never go back to the martha stewart home remedies after using this stuff.

I put a saw blade in a pizza pan, dribble on a little Reuzit, wait 10 minutes and wipe off excess with a paper towel.

-Steve

Where do you find the Reuzit stuff? BORG? I found a link (google search) for a place that has it for $15/gal... who knows what shipping is!!

I use oven cleaner...the cheap stuff from HD. I put my blade in a plastic oil change pan I got at ABC auto parts store. Spray on the oven cleaner, brush the teeth lightly with a brass bristled brush and rinse off in the shop sink. No waiting and no apparent damage to the blade, brazing or carbide. I clean my blade every time I remove it to put on a dado stack, which is fairly often.

I tried Simple Green and it doesn't do the job. Might as well just use water.

If I ever witness a carbide tooth fly off and know that the oven cleaner caused it, I'll maybe start using the kerosene Freud recommends. Until then...
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    from simplegreen.com

Simple Green has been successfully used by many woodworkers over many years as a good "spray - wipe - rinse" cleaner for saw blades. When pitch is fairly fresh (typically within a 12-hr period since deposit) it is fairly easily removed with Simple Green.

Older, dried-out pitch is much more difficult to remove. We do not recommend long-term soaking of Carbide blades in Simple Green. Long-term exposure like this can possibly cause cobalt leaching that will, in turn, affect the integrity of carbide. Shorter term "spray/wipe/rinse" applications do not create that kind of problem.

It has been reported to us that long-term soaking of carbide blades covered with older, tougher buildup of pitch in strong, black coffee does a great job of removing pitch without harming the blade.

Cleaning Blades

Hi there,

I'm with Carbide Processors located in Tacoma Washington and I believe I can help. Our company handles in router bits and saw blades and we have many articles on how to maintain saw blades. The following link takes you to our site for cleaning saw blades, I hope this helps!

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pag...aw-Blades.html

Megan Pahl
    Carbide Processors
    3847 S Union Ave
    Tacoma, WA
    253-476-1338

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lopeman View Post
    Where do you find the Reuzit stuff? BORG? I found a link (google search) for a place that has it for $15/gal... who knows what shipping is!!
    I get it from a cabinet shop hardware supplier. I actually thought it was more than $15--it's been at least 5 years since I bought a gallon and I'm about half through it. Figure cost per year, and it's silly cheap.

-Steve

>>>> 'm with Carbide Processors located in Tacoma Washington

Unless I am misreading something the article you refer to deals with cleaning the saw blade BEFORE brazing or welding. It says, "It is important you clean saw blades and other Carbide Tools before brazing or welding." The issue with many cleaners is that they damage the brazing material or the binders in the carbide itself.
    Howie.........

I actually found that the one place I did find it on the internet is located here in GA - but about 2.5 hours south of me in Macon! I talked to Liz and she told me that one of there guys drives up to Marietta occassionallly - well now that is much more doable and won't have to worry about $9 shipping on a $15 item!!

http://www.bibbtool.com/reuzit-abras...ate-p-512.html

Good deal. Funny thing is I've been using the stuff for 15 years and never have used it to clean abrasives. Might just have to give it a try.

One thing I really like is how non-toxic it seems. No strong odors, doesn't bother my skin. I still use rubber gloves just out of good practice.

Years ago I used to use Lye. I remember getting an embarrassing chemical burn when I had a trace on my hands and used the mens room....

-Steve

Mr. Boegen,

Thank you for raising an important point. I have amended the cleaning article to reflect your comments.

Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for posting those links.

There is a third article:
    http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/Can-cleaners-harm-saw-blades.html

Mr. Acheson,

Thank you. That introduction was not clear. Most of my research is for tool builders and I inadvertently addressed that article to them when it was written for a broader audience. I have corrected it now.

The longest we have soaked saw tips or braze alloy in oven cleaner is one week. We did not see any changes in that time. I think there could possibly be an effect but it would take a great, long time to be important. As nearly as we can tell from our research the effect, if it exists, is about like trying to lose weight by getting a hair cut.

Tom Walz
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post

The longest we have soaked saw tips or braze alloy in oven cleaner is one week. We did not see any changes in that time. I think there could possibly be an effect but it would take a great, long time to be important. As nearly as we can tell from our research the effect, if it exists, is about like trying to lose weight by getting a hair cut.

Tom Walz
    Imagine that.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln