Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about buying a bandsaw...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    "...you don't even know what you don't know...."
    --Matt Meiser

Matt: now that's good! 'Gonna' remember that one.
    I can't take credit for it--I've heard it said before. I've been in the situation myself plenty of times. When it happens, getting a friend or coworker to show me the basics or taking a basic class or attending a seminar at least gave me a clue where to start.

Sorry off topic...

Where I work we have an unofficial categorization based on this idea.

Entry Level (Jr. Developer) - Someone who doesn't know, what they don't know.

Mid Level (Contributing Developer) - Knows what they don't know, knows what/who/how to ask.

Senior Level (Expert Developer) - Knows what they need to know, or more often knows enough to find the answer almost instantly.

One of the fun parts of interviewing is finding creative ways to figure out where to put people in these categories. Experience matters a lot, but it always amazes me when you have someone with 10+ years experience who will try to fake their way through a basic question. It just makes them look incompetent, honesty is often a much more appealing trait. I can work well with someone who asks good questions and is teachable, trying to deal with someone who will never admit they don't know something is very frustrating.

Well, I couldnt get a saw today... all Lowes had was a crappy skil(plasticy junk) and a Delta... Which I was going to get, until the lady said they had no more, and werent getting any more.... although they still had it priced for sale...

Not to mention I had no support from my father, who thought woodworking is a waste of money... There were two prices... $119 for aluminum and plastic that I said wouldnt last the year... and $350... I told him Deltas are known for lasting 20+ years...(this was before we found out that there were none left in stock.) So, When we got home... I told him, forget it, I cannot do the school project I was getting it for... He wanted me to go to his friend's house, while the guy is nice, he can make you feel uncomfortable...

Not to mention, he got stuborn, because my grandfather kept telling him a tool was a waste of money... He obviously has no experience, which can be seen since he wanted me to get the plastic and aluminum junk... My grandfather thinks cardboard will work for a *WOODWORKING* project I am doing...(was going to also use the saw to work on my desk...) He apparently doesnt understand that when dropped from approximately 40ft, 1/8ths inch wood shatters appart. Cardboard does nothing...(its an egg recovery vehicle so I am wanting it to shatter as to eliminate a vast transferance of energy.)

So now we shall see how long before he becomes supportive of my wish to purchase equipment for my little shop. He doesnt mind me spending $500 on parts for my computer, but $400 for a tool that can outlive most computers, thats unacceptable....

Went for forced alergy testing by my POS father....turns out I am allergic to family... ah chooo...

4. http://www.google.com/search?q=think...ying+a+bandsaw

You do know this is a public forum, right? These pages stay searchable for quite a while.

Well Aware

6. Then I would ask for the mods to step in here. This forum should not tolerate that type of disrespect.

Step in on what grounds? One has the right to voice their oppinion. I have voiced mine countless times, so clearly the mods have seen, so, stop attempting to stir up trouble, would ya? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Callender View Post
    Then I would ask for the mods to step in here. This forum should not tolerate that type of disrespect.
    I do agree, but I remember my attitude toward adults at times when I was a kid so I can't say much. The jury is evidently out on whether or not it belongs on SMC.

Brendan,
    I must say that you are going to lose the respect (and help) of the SMC community always knocking your folks. Without them, you'd have no roof over your head to say the least. As for your father's opinions on the bandsaw... If he is not into woodworking, he would not know much difference between a good saw and a bad one. Your parents are probably not too crazy about the idea of you using power tools by yourself either (I know mine weren't). Whether you like it or not, by age alone, you are still a kid, and your parents are responsible for your well being. Building a mutual respect and trust is where you will find the leash loosening up a bit. Your grandfather sounds like a tinkerer and not so much a woodworker... His intentions are good, so at least respect that, even though his skill may lack.

I personally am losing interest in trying to offer advice to you... You always seem to think you know the answers to the questions you ask and only frustrate those trying to help by offering an experienced view beyond what you think you know. Everyone at SMC is here because we enjoy woodworking and the community here. There is more knowledge in the pages of this forum than any one member could offer on their own. I wish I had resources like this when I started, I could have avoided a lot of mistakes. I am always glad to see young people interested in woodworking and wish you the best.
    Last edited by Adam Strong; 04-19-2010 at 9:09 PM.

Does anyone know the cost of the Ridged at a HomeDepot store? I was going to look today, but got a flat tire(the hissing sound when I got out of the car sounded firmiliar.... ) I could only find the online price of $417(it says shipping included, hence why I figure the prices are different).

Any Reviews on this saw? I hear it vibrates but then I also read from some its got no issues... Any views from fellow creekers...? Can it truely accept upto a .75 band? Its the base steel or Cast Iron(site reads cast people say steel?) Ease of use? Is it as good as other saws in the same price range? Does the singe speed matter over multiple speeds, I plan to cut wood+ lexan/plexi.

Rating? They give it a 3.7/5 where the dual speed PC/Delta clone is a 3.3/5

I appreciate the assistance. As, I am dumb to this much information... it makes my head hurt...

Brendan,
    I own the Ridgid bandsaw... Out of the box it needs a bit of tuning (really not worse than others in the same price range). As for the price new, I think it is at the $399 mark. Once tuned it is a great saw at a good price in the end. I got mine off of CL for $150 and have put about $300 into making it great. The stand is made of steel and bolts together (loctite is a must). The saw frame is cast iron and great quality, clean casting. It accepts all the typical upgrades Grizzly riser, Kreg fence, Cobra spring, Cater guides, etc. As for tuning out of the box aside from the typical bandsaw setup... Balance the wheels, add a link belt, and add a shelf in the open frame to help firm things up. With urethane tires it will certainly track a 3/4" blade so long as the wheels are coplanar and it is tensioned correctly. I am a fan of the Ridgid saw, but buying a used one gives you a far better deal to make up for the tuning it requires.
    As for ratings... I give mine a 5/5 - $450 and I have a great set-up I just had to dial things in a bit. Out of the box a 3.7/5 is fair - at $400 most people (unrealistically) expect a tuned tool out of the box. Honestly, in this price range, every saw has issues.

Here are a few pics of my saw... the blade installed is a 1/2"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adam Strong; 04-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.