Thread: Which Finish to spray

Thumbs down Which Finish to spray

I want to get your opinion on which finish to put on a walnut treasure box. I want to go with a waterborne finish like the Target Em6000 ,Em9000 or General Finishes Euro-Var.

Both of the Taget products are top notch. Never used the General so I don't have an option on it..
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I happen to use the EM6000 pretty much exclusively, but there are a number of good water borne finishes available these days from the top manufacturers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Do you buy from the manufacturer in NJ or are there distributors?
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

There are some distributors but I have always ordered directly from the target coatings webpage directly.

I have used a fair amount of the Target USL (which is EM6000 now) and it is very good stuff and very forgiving for spraying.

Pretty much any of the offerings from a reputable manufacturer will do a fantastic job.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

thanks for all your responses. I ordered the em6000 today. I can't wait till i get it and spray my walnut treasure box.

Glad this thread's already started. The EM6000, is it a pretty good finish for pretty much anything? I just bought a HVLP sprayer and would like to get into spray finishing and I have a list of projects from a bed, dresser, 2 night stands, and a bookcase. All different woods. If this isn't, then is there just a good finish/protectant to spray for anything?

I have heard not to spray poly because the over spray will never dry.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I haven't used the EM6000 but I have used a lot of the USL (the precursor to EM6000) and it is good stuff for just about anything except very high use surfaces.

A kitchen table top I may opt for something like the conversion varnish for a little more durability but i have a couple desks finished in USL and as of now they are still going strong.

The only downside I have ever seen to waterbase is that sometimes it looks a bit lifeless. That is why I nearly always use a sealcoat of shellac. I guess it "warms" to wood some. This is less noticeable on some woods than others.

Target has an finish that is supposed to give all the benefits of oil with a water clean up. It is now called EM2000.

USL and now EM6000 is my go to finish for almost everything I am going to spray. There are several other great options available but I have been happy with Target so far and don't have much reason to change.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"