Thread: Lumber in Atlanta, Ga

Lumber in Atlanta, Ga

Hey guys, I know a bunch of you are from the ATL area. I will be up there Thursday for a seminar for work and wanted to stop and get some lumber. I am looking for walnut, cherry, figured maple, and either wenge or paduk. Just some pieces of each for small projects, not a huge haul.

The hotel where the seminars at is only 6 minutes from Woodcraft so I'm definitely going there and I pass by Rockler on my way through so I'm hitting there. I'm heading up Wednesday and I am staying with my sister in the Highland district so I am of course, hitting there too (it's one block away).

My question is are there any good lumber mills where I could get better prices than any of those 3 places? I'm not looking for a lot of BF but if I run across a great deal I can pick up a good bundle.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

The closest to Woodcraft and Rockler is Suwanee Lumber (450 Hwy. 23 NW Suwanee, GA. 30024 [770-945-2102]) If you are going to be around Kennesaw then you may want to check out Peach State Lumber (4000 Moon Station Rd. Kennesaw, GA. 30144 [770-428-3622])

Also, Peachtree Woodworking is just down from Woodcraft if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by craig greene View Post
    The closest to Woodcraft and Rockler is Suwanee Lumber (450 Hwy. 23 NW Suwanee, GA. 30024 [770-945-2102]) If you are going to be around Kennesaw then you may want to check out Peach State Lumber (4000 Moon Station Rd. Kennesaw, GA. 30144 [770-428-3622])

Also, Peachtree Woodworking is just down from Woodcraft if you are interested.
    Sweet! Didn't think about Peachtree. Thanks Craig. I will also see if I can check out Suwanee. We have no lumber mills within 3 hours of Savannah so I have to hit up what I can when I go to ATL.

For the lumbers you listed I would personally go to Peach State lumber. It's a bit of a drive from where you are but it's my favorite place to go, they almost always have the best prices I've seen locally for lumber. I actually just bought some 5x5 1/2" sheets of Russian BB plywood for ~$20 a pop at Peach State, and I was very happy with the quality of the plywood. I also go to Hardwood Incorporated. right off of 285. Their prices aren't as good as Peach State, but their selection is better, especially for plywood, and they have some giant slab pieces (15+ feet long, and anywhere from 3-5 feet wide).

If you get a chance to head up to Peach State make sure to ask if they will show you their offices, they have an amazing custom wood floor throughout the entire office, and a couple of the offices have some really amazing slab pieces in them.

-Stephen

Thanks Stephen, depending on how much time I have (due to rush hour traffic in ATL ) I will see if I can squeeze one of those into the trip.

I also recommend Suwanee and Peach State. I live 12 miles from Suwanee and they have been my supplier since 1978. Peach State is a bit farther but I do find them higher on QSWO which I mainly use. I believe they are over $6 a bd. ft. compared to the $4.20 I pay at Suwanee. But.. Peach State is comparativley priced on most other species from what I have seen.

Enjoy...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Hardwoods Incorporated

Hardwoods Incorporated in Mableton is a little pricy but they carry a wide selection of lumber (both domestic and imported) and they will sell small pieces. (You can cutoff and buy the end of any board as long as there is 6' of board remaining.) Thye also carry turning blanks and sheet goods.

Steve

Peach State is about a two mile drive from my house, and about 500 feet as the crow flies! They do indeed have a beautiful office area.

They're helpful people, I think their prices are about $4-$6/BF for most hardwoods (less exotics).

+1 for Peach State. Only bought from them once or twice and pleased with what I got and the price.

Sarge, I need to get to Suwannee one day too!

+1 for Suwanee. Never been there, but the few orders I've placed for delivery have been great. Did I say they deliver?

Joe: You've received excellent advise from the Creekers, as usual, but since you're going to be close to Highland Hardward, don't miss the opportunity to visit: Carlton McLendon, Inc. Rare Woods And Veneers.

If not for an actual purchase, for the experience. Long history, old table saw and bandsaw to cut lumber and turning blocks. A totally different and very positive wood/lumber buying experience. But sure to go downstairs, into the cellar, and dig through the racks down there. Taking a flashlight helps.

Enjoy, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

aahhhh...... Tom. I wish I had found this place before I was up there last time. We were literally a couple of blocks away.

Thanks for the link. bookmarked.

I've heard about that place Tom but never did know the actual name of it. I dont know if I will have time this trip as I am already going to like 5 places. But I will be back in June and July so I will definitely go by there on one of those 2 trips.