Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebra wood and Walnut bandsaw box

Zebra wood and Walnut bandsaw box

This box is Zebra wood and ebonized Black Walnut.
    The Zebra wood was in two long narrow strips about 1¼ x 2½ x 30 inches. I cut and re-glued it into a blank that I band sawed and sanded it into this shape. Next I cut and ebonized the Black Walnut ends(iron oxide from vinegar and steel wool). The lining is adhesive back black velvet. It is finished with rattle can lacquer.
    With some of the left over’s I made a matching pen (no pic).
    Critique if you want after 30 years of ww I’ve made plenty of mistakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Walker; 04-19-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add pics of box
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

The only critique is I can't see it....

Wow Randy, that is awesome. Did you design it or built from plans? I am making about 15 boxes for christmas presents this year and that looks like a really cool one to try and replicate.

I also like your profile picture. Glad I'm not the only one with an entertainment center big enough to sit in.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Beautiful box and a great design. Mind if I borrow the design?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

First class job on the box Randy.

Nice work, and beautiful contrast with the wood selection.

Very nice. I like the matching colors of the walnut to the zebra wood stripes. I have a big 8/4 board of zebra wood and just haven't decided what to do with it. I do like the idea of the ebonized walnut as an accent. I would love for you to elaborate a little more on the process of ebonizing the walnut in your project.

Talking

Yes Joe the design is my own, but is based on designs that I have seen here and other places. I kind of liked the finished look that the ends make and it was not a design that I have seen used a lot. Of course you or anyone else that wants to, can use this design. I would be honored in fact that others would find my design good enough to copy.

The entertainment center was actually a commission (did it way to cheep). Its 10 feet long and 7 feet tall. The opening is for a 65 inch tv, and it has 10 components bolted together. I based it on a unit that was in American Woodworker a few years ago. I can post some information on it if anyone wants to know about it.
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8

Blog Entries
    Really nice box. You may see multiple variations of ypur design. I may try it myself.

That's gorgeous. Did you use flocking for the inside, or is it felt?

This is actually the third rendition of this box. The first two are black walnut with cherry ends. One is plain inside, the other has Spanish a cedar veneer lining (see new pics below). I have a couple of ideas for this design that uses flat wood. I want to use some of the spalted maple that I have been hording.
    Tony ebonizing is super easy. Start with a piece of steel wool, any old worn out piece will do. Wet it and let it rust for a few days. After it is thoroughly rusted put it in a jar with vinegar (I used white vinegar) and in another day or two it will turn grey/black. Filter it and put into a convenient container like a plastic bottle. To use it, prepare your wood (any wood with tannins works) as you normally would for a water base finish, raising the grain and sanding it. Wipe on a liberal coating of the solution and the wood will turn black within a few minutes. It is ready to finish when it’s dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8

Nice job and great combination of woods!

They're both very beautiful!

Well that sure is an interesting technique. Until now I have never heard of doing that. I've read a couple finishing books front to back and that technique was never mentioned. It turned out great and I will surely be using that technique to match up with some zebra wood projects. Thanks man.

Hinge detail

What are you using for hinges? It is an awesome box!