Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a TS55 - What size for the 2nd guide rail?

Buying a TS55 - What size for the 2nd guide rail?

With the Festool sale on I've finally decided to purchase a TS55. The first job I'll use it for will require on-site length-wise ripping of 4 x 8 ply.

One question I have though is which additional guide rail I should purchase - a 55" or 106". I've searched the archives, and opinions seem to be mixed, so I thought I would tee this question up again to see if I could get any further feedback before purchasing.
    Last edited by Will Rowland; 04-20-2010 at 1:44 PM.

Will,

I'm going through a similar debate myself. I think the other rail is 106" and from what I've researched, it would probably be best to have both the included 55" and the 106" instead of hooking two 55s together. A bit more cost, but a better long-term solution. However, hauling around the 106 incher might be a pain.

McFeely's says to select the 55" with the saw and then purchase another 55" which will give you enough length with some extra to start your saw on.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rowland View Post
    The first job I'll use it for will require on-site length-wise ripping of 4 x 8 ply.
    I use my TS55 mainly for breaking down plywood, and I usually get 4x8 sheets. While you can buy a pair of 55" rails, I really like having a 55" and the 106". The 106" is made for breaking down 8' sheets of ply lengthwise, and the 55" for breaking down 4'x8' sheets crosswise. The downsides are: (1) I have to use the 106" for 5'x5' sheets of BB, which is sort of excessive; and (2) the 106" is a PITA to store.

As much as I believe in Festool engineering, I just can't believe two 55"ers bolted together gives you the equivalent of a 106" in terms of straightness or versatility--I like being able to pick up the 106" from one end, and I'm not sure that the two 55"s have that structural integrity...
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 04-20-2010 at 3:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rowland View Post
    With the Festool sale on I've finally decided to purchase a TS55. The first job I'll use it for will require on-site length-wise ripping of 4 x 8 ply.

One question I have though is which additional guide rail I should purchase - a 55" or 106". I've searched the archives, and opinions seem to be mixed, so I thought I would tee this question up again to see if I could get any further feedback before purchasing.
    The extra 55 inch guide rail will work. But a 75 inch gives you a little more room to start and stop the saw ath the beginning and end of cut. Plus the 75 inch gives you some extra versatility so you have a choice of using 55 inch and 75 inch length for different cuts. Don't forget to buy the 2 set of connectors to join the rails.

Vijay

I bought the second 55", and had a very bad experience with it. The Festool joiner bars would not keep the two short guides aligned. In normal shop use, the joined bars get banged around, and the 55" length turns out to be a very long lever to wrench the little screws in the joiner bars. They only stay put by pushing on the aluminum of the guide, and that's not a strong connection. I found that the joined guides would stay straight for a couple of cuts, and then they'd drift off. I'd notice only when panels started getting wonky. Very bad words would ensue. I sold off one of the 55" guides, and bought the 106".

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    The extra 55 inch guide rail will work. But a 75 inch gives you a little more room to start and stop the saw ath the beginning and end of cut. Plus the 75 inch gives you some extra versatility so you have a choice of using 55 inch and 75 inch length for different cuts. Don't forget to buy the 2 set of connectors to join the rails.

Vijay
    This. I have two 55 inch rails. Don't really have any issue with joining them together to rip sheets of plywood lengthwise as I don't do that all that often, but using one rail when ripping widthwise, the 55" is hardly enough to make the 48" cut. Most sheets of melamine or MDF are oversized as well so making those cuts is even less room. It would be perfect if the rail was 60". If I was to do it all over again, I think I would get a 55" and 75" rail.

Buy BOTH! They will come in handy. For Festool owners, $$$ is no object!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Buy BOTH! They will come in handy. For Festool owners, $$$ is no object!
    What makes poor people so bitter? Now excuse me, it's time for my afternoon champagne and pate de foie gras break. And yes, I plan to slice my brioche with a Kapex.

I recently bought a TS55. I also bought a Qwas square. The square requires an additional foot or so of rail length, effectively reducing the usable length of the rail when using the square. I do like the square, but you might consider this when deciding which rails to buy.

The person that sold me the saw also recommended that I buy the rails with the holes in them since they only cost a little more.

55" is barely enough to cut 4' plywood, you will need at least 10-12" from the both side to start and finish the cut. I have 55" and 75". never have problem with guide rail connectors bar, and two rail combine will be enough to cut 4x8 sheet of plywood. Both rails easy to store. I am using this system for more then a year and never had any problems.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    What makes poor people so bitter? Now excuse me, it's time for my afternoon champagne and pate de foie gras break. And yes, I plan to slice my brioche with a Kapex.

I must be poor because I don't know how to pronounce most of the words in there. Now excuse me its time for afternoon Dr. Pepper and bugles with easy cheese

13. Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Thanks for the laugh. You will lose a bit of the brioche to the kerf, but then again, you're a Festool owner. La de dah, to quote Annie Hall.

I like the 106 rail, it's very convenient and accurate. I might have liked the one that's one size up from 106 even better. No problem to transport on the rack.

I have a 42", 55" and 106". The other rail that I'd like to have is the 75".

You know, the whole bashing, or comments on Festool prices is getting really old.

And to stay on topic, I think I will go with the 106" rail. The extra start stop room will be nice.

This is a frequently asked question and there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Having used 2 55's for many years and later getting the 106" rail; I would say that if transport, storage (and/or price) of the long rail are issues, opt for the 2 55"s or a 75" rail. The 106" would be the choice for convenience for sure. It only takes a minute or two to connect the rails and I insured straightness by adjoining them with a 4' level, but it is still time.

Bob
    bob m