Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made bowl lathe

Home made bowl lathe

I'm new to Sawmill Creek, I joined in the fall of 2009 and this is my first post. I enjoy reading the posts, especially in the Turner's Forum.

I have enjoyed wood turning, including bowls, for many years but with family and work did not get to spend much time in the shop.

Several years back I started building a home made bowl lathe. I built the spindle assemble back then, it laid around the shop for years and followed me through several work related moves.

I retired at the end of 2009 and have finally finished the lathe. The lathe works even better that my expectations, it's bolted to the floor and is very solid.

The lathe has a 1 horsepower motor with a speed range of approximately 575 - 2300 RPM.

The bowl being turned is a 13" x 4" green cherry blank. In the last photo the bowl is ready to be anchorseal'ed and put up to dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to me! What is the headstock bearing setup? Is it available anywhere?How big is the spindle and is it hollow?

Very nice execution...what is capacity and HP

Looks like about 2 HP and 20"...and very compact. I suppose you can always reposition a new set of tool holder mounting holes lower to increase capacity if needed.

Looks well made. What did you use for spindle material, and final size? Looks like about a 2" pillow block bearing...nice.

I'm sure there will be drool threads all about on this one! Super job!

Now that is an impressive fabrication job and she looks like she works quite well! Congrat's on a fine "home made" tool. Home made tools always add a lot of enjoyment to any project...Bill..

Simple, and well done!!

That is a pretty neat bowl lathe! Well done.

Dale - Welcome!

Really nice lathe design! Well thought out! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That looks awesome. I do have a question though. In the first pic, there is no switch box. In the other three, there is and it would appear that it is positioned in a manner that might interfere with the tool rest in the event that you wanted to work on the headstock side of the billet. I guess maybe you never would...
    David DeCristoforo

The pillow block & bearings were scrounged at a junk yard. I turned the spindle on my old South Bend metal lathe, it is 1 1/2" x 8 threads/inch, same as my South Bend.
    It is not hollow.

The pillow block & bearings were scrounged at a junk yard. I turned the spindle on my old South Bend metal lathe, it is 1 1/2" x 8 threads/inch, same as my South Bend and is not hollow.

As shown I can turn an 18 inch blank, however, the tool rest bed can be lowered 5" so I could then turn a 28" blank. It has 1 horse power motor.

The first picture was taken when I finished the basic lathe, the switch is on a table to left side. And yes the switch does interfere with tool positioning occasionally, I may consider moving the switch some day.

Excellent work indeed !, just add a VFD or DC w/VS and you got it down to under 100 rpm for the bigger / out of balance stuff .
    John 3:16

wow, very cool lathe, looks very economic, nice job.

I just love the wet stain on the wall
    I cant wait to take on building on like it just need the time.
    Nice job.
    Brad

Now how cool is that! I just love shop built equipment and tools and this bowl lathe is a dandy!

MMc