Thread: Wood gloat w/picture foul (sorry)

Wood gloat w/picture foul (sorry)

I just bought 3 curly cherry boards from a local supplier. AND --- they are 19" wide, 7' long, 6/4 w/ amazing figure and I gave $4 BF for them. I bought all he had from that log, some little 10 and 12" wide stuff. I know that there are different schools of thought concerning using wide boards. I am a wide board fan. Excitement and project ideas abound!!! Sorry no pics, maybe Santa will bring a digital camera. Otherwise I have to borrow one, might still do that. Anyway, I just had to tell someone.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

It seems that two Martin's think alike. I am also a wide cherry board fan. At $4 a board foot, you got a heck of a deal. Congratulations on a fine lumber gloat, even with no pics!

I was in a class with Kelly Mehler once, and asked him about ripping a wide board and then re-glueing it back together to lesson the chance of cupping. His reply was: "There is a special place in hell for people who cut wide boards."

Enjoy those wide boards, Martin.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    It seems that two Martin's think alike. I am also a wide cherry board fan. At $4 a board foot, you got a heck of a deal. Congratulations on a fine lumber gloat, even with no pics!

I was in a class with Kelly Mehler once, and asked him about ripping a wide board and then re-glueing it back together to lesson the chance of cupping. His reply was: "There is a special place in hell for people who cut wide boards."

Enjoy those wide boards, Martin.

Haaaaaaaa I love that saying.
    Great wood score. What cha gonna make?

Martin, Kelly is the one who basically got me started using wide boards. He told me the exact same thing. I may use one to build a writing desk similar to his in his honor. A one board top!! Otherwise no specific plans. The boards are bookmatched so I may wait for a large table top or something to take advantage of that. Thanks for the responses.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

good score Martin. I have never believed in ripping and regluing boards and have never had any problems.
    Are you going to get into sawing and drying lumber up there?
    Nice to see your name.
    Take care
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve, I am just getting started milling and drying again. The problem is finding something worth milling and drying. I just looked at a grove of Walnut trees this AM. The largest was 18" across and maybe 5' to the first limb. Comparing the hardwoods I was used to in E. TX to those in CO is kind of like comparing N. TX mesquite to deep south Tx mesquite. its just not the same. I am experimenting with a large cottonwood I got for free so we will see how that goes.

has anyone used cottonwood with success?
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lutz

has anyone used cottonwood with success?
    Only for firewood. And it's rotten firewood . . .

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wide boards rule! Kelly Mehler is right. Can't wait for pictures.....

No Pictures means it didn't happen, that way I feel better

Martin -

Great haul! Leave 'em wide, whatever they turn into will be beautiful.

Ted

Go Wide Or Go Home!!!
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------