Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best HVLP system?

Cameron, no apologies necessary. No offense was taken, whatsoever. I'm at the end of my career and won't be buying much of anything for my shop. I think I understand what you are trying to do. It's the reason people hate painting. Most folks have little patience and far too little experience, probably for the same reason. They look at a hallway with seven door casings, seven doors and a mess of base just for starters. And they try to do this in one coat. And, if you're not used to it, it's painful and slow. Spraying sounds like it would be the easiest, most effective way to paint. But, not always. For the home's exterior, an HVLP isn't the way to do it. It's not made for heavy, pigmented latex paints. That is when you need the airless. But, you'll need the proper spray tip for the paint you are using. You may need stilts, walk boards, paddle, brush, bucket, on and on. You also need to know how to properly operate your airless. It's not an easy project. But, if you take the job at hand in steps and complete each one in sequence, you'll have this project under control and the finished product will be much better. Concede that you will have to sand, prime, and use two finish coats. One guy, many hours of intense labor. I hate to see people seduced into buying equipment they really don't need, or won't be using after the project it is completed. There are few instances that spray painting are necessary for the interior of the house. If you have an airless, it should be perfect for painting the siding of your house. Just have everything you need set up before you begin. The first being the best paint from a paint store. Don't cheat yourself, buy the top of the line paint. I'm on your side, believe me.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Cameron,

I have an airless sprayer, because my wife and I have rental properties. Spraying outside is easier than spraying inside. IF you had as much overspray as you indicate; I suspect you did not have the airless sprayer set-up properly.

Outside is an easy job compared to interior.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Well, Scott, that is certainly possible. However, as I recall, it was pretty much plug and play. I stuck the thing in a gallon of paint, turned it on, and painted.

I'm sure I could do parts of my house with it. The parts that are furthest away from neighbors.

I'm hoping someone will chime in who has used one of the newer high powered units.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy View Post
    Well, Scott, that is certainly possible. However, as I recall, it was pretty much plug and play. I stuck the thing in a gallon of paint, turned it on, and painted.

I'm sure I could do parts of my house with it. The parts that are furthest away from neighbors.

I'm hoping someone will chime in who has used one of the newer high powered units.
    I, too, was wondering why you had relatively little success with your airless painting. It should have done a great job on the clapboards on your home.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I fear that I've not been very clear and I'm a bit embarrassed by my inability to communicate effectively. I humbly apologize and throw myself upon the mercy of the court... It's really great that you guys are so willing to take time and steer me in the right direction. Forums like this are such an incredible resource.

Anyhow, I had really wonderful results with the airless system when I painted interior walls and ceilings in my house and garage. It was fast and easy.

The problem was the overspray. It made me very fearful of trying to paint the exterior of my house (and via that overspray so paint my neighbor's house, windows, and car as well). Plus, on the interior, I had to enclose the areas being painted in plastic sheeting. Walling off my great room was a major pain.

My hope was that a system with less overspray could be used to great advantage on the much more complicated exterior surfaces of my house. I've got dental rail and other multi-surfaced trim on the front of the house, and considerable contrasting trim elsewhere on the front, sides, and back of the house. I was quoted $5K by College Painters. Naturally, I saw a tool purchase opportunity.

So, I thought, if I can get some extra mileage out of an HVLP system that I need to finish my kitchen cabinets and other woodworking projects, it might be worth investing, for example, in the Fuji Q system instead of the Mini Mite. Then, of course, I discover 5 and 6 stage systems and start thinking... "Gee, everyone that says HVLP is the wrong tool to paint a house has experience only with the older 3 and 4 stage systems. The 5 and 6 stage systems are substantially more powerful (indeed, double and more the power of older 3 stage) and even the guns have been redesigned to handle more viscous liquids.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the reason 5 and now 6 stage systems have been developed is due to federal regulations that prohibit thinning of paints used on federal buildings. Manufacturers, so I understand, have responded by beefing up HVLP's capacity to handle latex paint without thinning.

Regardless, the issue remains of understanding the capacity of the new, vastly more powerful systems.

BTW, I just watched Jeff's new video that comes with his new book "Spray Finishing Made Simple." While I'm very sure it's way too basic for most of you guys, for me, a complete beginner, it's EXCELLENT. Highly recommended.

Understood. I still don't think the HVLP is the way to go. The 5-6 stage probably out preforms the other guns, but I believe Jeff admits that running latex through them must be cut 10%. It would definately be less overspray than an airless. Your money, your job, your call. I hope it works out well.
    Phil in Big D