Thread: Moved a ton of Lumber today (w/pics)

Moved a ton of Lumber today (w/pics)

I went to an auction on Saturday and bought a little bit of ash. The auction listed it as 500 BF of 10-12' 8/4 ash. I couldn't take it home on Saturday because it was at the back of a barn behind other piles of lumber. My little Ford Ranger was in for service today so I borrowed a 4x4 5.4l F150. I don't know what the truck is rated for, but I am sure I had over 2000 lbs of Ash in it today. Hand loading that by myself was quite laborious, thankfully my Dad was at the other end to help me unload. I think there is more than 650 BF in the pile. I am not used to driving a full size pickup, and driving one loaded to the gills was quite a challenge. It was like dancing with a fat chick, every little bit of motion in the steering wheel caused the truck to jiggle from side to side as it settled out. I was leading a parade for 150 KM on a back highway as I actually drove the speed limit (80KPH).

All in all, I think it was worth the effort for 650 BF of 8/4 White Ash at $0.57 CDN (about $0.46 US) a BF.

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

David

Wow David Good Haul AND better than dancing w a fat chick.
    Jerry

Oh mannnn. What a beautiful load of wood!!!! Can't argue with the price, even if you had to dance with a fat chick to get it. However, that's not a terribly politically correct analogy....

Jack

Where I come from, We Call that a "Serious Master Gloat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WTG

Bruce

David,

I think you'll find that a major reason the truck was a bit squirrely to drive was the load placement. I've got a full size pickup and had about 3000 pounds of stone in the bed for a slow, short trip. (Yeah I know it was overloaded - didn't realize the stone weighed quite as much as it did). While I knew I had a lot of weight, the truck wasn't all over the road.

Looking at the picture of your load, I'd guess that more than 50% of the effective load is in back of your rear axle. Remember that long boards hanging out further will act as a lever and press down more. The effect is to lift your front wheels up. That lifting on the front wheels will give you less steering control and definitely give you that "all over jiggle" you experienced.

Nice haul with the wood. Be careful stacking it to make sure you don't get bugs in it - I seem to remember that ash is somewhat susceptible to borers.

Rob

Are you guys in London having issues with emerald ash borer? We have an nastly affliction of the borer and they litterally took out every ash tree in a tri-county area. Nice thing was several of our woodworking group members got ash for the cost of milling.

Nice haul and for the price you can really afford to do anything with it. Pine 2x4's aren't even that cheap!!

Nice haul...and ya didn't have to make an excuse to leave!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson
    Are you guys in London having issues with emerald ash borer? We have an nastly affliction of the borer and they litterally took out every ash tree in a tri-county area. Nice thing was several of our woodworking group members got ash for the cost of milling.

Nice haul and for the price you can really afford to do anything with it. Pine 2x4's aren't even that cheap!!
    Brad
    Government types have banned the movement of ash fire wood in Essex County and have removed, or are going to remove darn near every ash tree from here to somewhere the other side of Chatham, last I heard. Some folks in rural areas are planning on suing over this - apparently the property owners were at work and came home to find their couple acres of woods completely clear cut, even though there were no ash trees on the property. The government types are trying to contain the emerald ash borer, haven't heard any updates lately.
    David - Great haul! What's the first project??
    Last edited by Pat Monahan; 11-16-2004 at 1:32 AM.

That Ford only had half a load.......here is my 1/2 ton Chevy with most of a load

Your wood looks a little nicer though.......mine was a load of maple and walnut for a $1 a bft.

Nice haul

AG

David
    I have some room in my garage,that looks like a trip hazard. Nice gloat, make sure to show pics of what you build with it.

Tom