Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cherry finish

True. You can do that fine.

My standard finish for cherry (and several other species) is BLO and de-waxed shellac. If it needs a top coat due to its intended use, I'll spray Target Coatings EM6000 over that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Are you saying that it is "False" that you you can use a waxed shellac under an oil based alkyd or phenolic varnish?

Bill

Bill, you can use waxy under alkyd or phenolic. You can also use dewaxed under alkyd and phenolic. You can also use dewaxed under just about anything - including polyurethane and the waterbased finishes Jim likes. Because dewaxed is more universal, many people use that; it's a no-brainer.

But the answer to yr orig question is YES.

I use the same finish as Jim on cherry except I top coat with EM2000 instead of EM6000. It adds just a little more amber color to the wood. That's just a personal preference.

My favorite finish for cherry is to mix equal parts varnish, BLO, and mineral spirits. Not really a secret sauce, it's basically just making your own wiping oil/varnish. Sand cherry to 220 and flood the surface with the mixture. Wait 10 minutes and remove excess. Wait a few hours, lightly scuff and recoat. More coats = more depth. This finish provides a fair amount of protection and is silky smooth to the touch.

Ryan
    dream big...resaw bigger.