Thread: my downfall

my downfall

Hello Group,

I was wondering if there anybody knew of a finishing class in the NW Iowa area. I have used oil based poly, spar varnish spray, spray laquer, and am now testing my skill with water based finishes on oil based stains. I have just recently aquired a HVLP sprayer and am spraying the Polycrylic. The people who I make stuff for are happy with my finishing skills but there always seem to be some flaw that I can spot. Finishing is the area of my wood working that I almost dread because I can never get the perfect topcoat.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Only if I hand rub the finish will it be exceptional. There is no spray and walk away.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Polycrylic is one of the few miniwax finishes that I actually like. I do get better results with different acylic finishes, specifically Target coatings offerings.

As far as a class just go get a couple books. Bob Flexner's is very good.

Finishing is more about knowing what to use when then any actual physical skill in application.

I find one or two finishes I like and learn them well. Much easier to specialize when possible.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The National Woodfinishing Institute is in the Twin Cities. They are offering a "Finishing New Wood" workshop in July this year. The instructor is Mitch Kohanek. He is an excellent instructor and he frequently teaches at the Marc Adams school. NW Iowa is not too far from the Twin Cities. It will definitely be worth it if you can get away for a week. http://www.woodfinishing.org/workshops.htm
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans