Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV medium shoulder plane as nice as it looks?

Hi James (and all)

Here are links to reviews ..

... of the Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane (compared with the HNT Gordon 3/4" and Stanley #92) .. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...r%20Plane.html

... and the Veritas Small Shoulder Plane (comapred with the Veritas Medium, and reference to larger and smaller shoulder planes) ... http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lderPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have one also and really like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    Also I am toying with the idea of getting the A2 cutter... i have always been a bigger fan of O1, I'm much more familiar with it. Will A2 hold an edge at a low angle or is it more prone to fracture? I am more interested in less chipping, and even wear. I don't mind honing more often. I just don't want to be grinding chips out every time i use the plane.

Thanks guys!
    I've had the LV medium shoulder plane for about a year - with an 01 blade.
    I've had no problems with this blade, including any apparent need to go back to honing it with any excessive frequency.

good luck

michael

The LV Medium shoulder plane is nearly perfect. It is one of few items that I own, tools or otherwise, that would be replaced literally within a day should they go missing.

I love mine - out of the box it was spectacular - after tuning - unbelievable. I don't use it everyday but when I do, it amazes me.

Good luck.

Phil

[QUOTE=Zach England;1407746]Are you sure you aren't thinking about the large one? The medium does not have a front knob (at least mine does not) and the large has front and rear wood knobs.

Sorry; it's the rear brass knob I was referring to. You are correct, there is no front knob.

I love mine and use it often. Never tried the LN.

I've had mine for years. Bought it new for $139, now they sell for about $175. what does that tell you about value?

It is a beautiful tool, which has never failed me. I too don't use it every day, but I always feel good using it when I do. I have the A2 blade, and it has not been prone to problems, and does stay sharp a good long time.

I am sure you won't regret buying one.

I like mine.

I have the medium and really like it. I have very small hands with skinny fingers and it feels good in my hand. One thing I really like is using it on my wooden miter vice. I like using a router plane more than the shoulder plane for cleaning up the bottoms of grooves.

Eric