Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help using a Lie-Nielsen block plane!

Need help using a Lie-Nielsen block plane!

I feel like a complete idiot but I cannot get my LN block plane to work. The mouth closes up completely just as the blade starts to protrude beyond the sole.
    I have looked at this problem at least a dozen times over the last 6 months - I always think "this time I'll see the problem." It's time to give up my pride. I want to use the plane!

I think the pictures show everything pretty clearly - the sole picture shows the mouth closed and the side picture shows that the blade doesn't protrude. Ask if you need any additional info or pictures. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Wow! That's very interesting... I've only handled one other 60 1/2R and the throat was around 1/16 while taking a medium/light cut... That one you've got looks like it might be defective or something, perhaps the bed wasn't milled deep enough or the front of th throat wasn't milled properly... this is just conjecture...

You could probably send it back for a new one, or if you feel up to it, gently file the front of the mouth until it opens up a bit... might be nice to be able to do it yourself as you can file it to have a super tight mouth...

Do you have an accurate straight edge? If so, hold the back of the blade up against the straight edge and see if any light shines through. You may have a warped blade. If so, Lie Nielsen should replace it. It looks like there is a little distance between the bed and the blade near the sole.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Take the cap iron off and make sure the blade is engaged in the slot properly. In a rush I've put a blade in wrong and had the same problem.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Contact Lie-Nielsen about it.
    They have excellent customer service.

"Contact Lie-Nielsen about it."

Or you could just change the angle on the blade bevel a degree or two...
    David DeCristoforo

I'm with Brian on this one. The third picture appears to show the blade lifting from the bed the closer it gets to the mouth. I would check and see if you can get a larger gap when the blade isn't tightened down, pressing the blade against the bed by hand. This should begin to tell you where the problem is.

Blog Entries
    I have the same plane. The mouth is very tight. Looking at the sole when the iron is protuding, the opening is approximately .0078" (1/128). If your iron is not flat, there could be a problem. My plane works well. The shaving is translucent.
    I'm looking at my plane while writing this.

The sole behind the mouth on my plane is not dead flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon van der Linden View Post
    I'm with Brian on this one. The third picture appears to show the blade lifting from the bed the closer it gets to the mouth. I would check and see if you can get a larger gap when the blade isn't tightened down, pressing the blade against the bed by hand. This should begin to tell you where the problem is.
    Jon is right. The blade isn't lying flat. I assume you've pulled it out and cleaned any shavings, etc. that may be caught under the blade.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Hi Doug

1. The bed must be flat. Check that there are no obstructions (on the bed that might lift up the blade - these could be a shaving or grit or the bed may not have been ground flat and smooth). My money is on this one.

2. The blade must be flat. Check whether there is any bend that forces the blade out-of-alignment with the mouth (ie lifts it).

3. High down force from the lever cap should actually increase the size of the mouth, so I doubt this is the issue. Nevertheless, you should be able to set the plane with mild pressure. Once you have check #1 and #2, just see if you can slide the blade back and forth, without the lever cap on, and how big the mouth is then. It should just fit through.

I do own this #60 1/2R and it works wonderfully.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I am with the others seeing what looks like the blade off of the bed near the mouth. If you can see light through that area, something is wrong.

LN would likely take care of this no questions asked.

here is the area of the image where it looks like there may be a gap.

Picture 16.jpg

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Additional info

Thanks for all the responses - even from the prolific plane man Derek.

• TOO TIGHT? I do not have the blade tightened excessively and the problem persists even when it is adjusted loose enough that I can easily move the blade (i.e., too loose to be able to use).
    • SHAVINGS? No debris of any kind, no corrosion.
    • ADJUSTER? The recess for the adjuster flange fits quite well and I can't see any way that it could be misaligned.
    • BLADE NOT ON BED? I should have included the following picture. I cannot see any gap.

Lowell - My plane did work when I first got it although I was surprised the mouth opening was so tiny (1/128th sounds about right). It cut well, but the mouth would usually clog with shavings. Now I can't get it to work at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Is that a little raised chunk of iron I see under the iron in Jim's picture / Hard to tell from a photograph.

Blog Entries
    Is there any bevel on the back of the blade such as using the ruler trick?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My plane looks the same as the last photo. I have no idea.

I would call Lie Nielsen. I have found them to be extremely friendly and co-operative.

In the mean time, I would set up the plane as I did when I recieved it. I would hone the back of the iron, put a bit of micro bevel on the iron, wax all the surfaces. I might even lay some 400 grit wet or dry paper on my cast iron table and dry sand the sole of the plane. I might hone the bottom of the cap iron, lubricate all the threads.

Most of the time when I have a problem with an edge tool, a sharpening session will work it out, even if the tool is apparently sharp.

I keep my hones out on the bench and when confronted with an issue, go hone an edge. It seems to sharpen both me and the tool. (I hope this doesn't sound silly to you).