Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help using a Lie-Nielsen block plane!

Jim - No micro bevel, although I find it an interesting question. I have never put a micro bevel on any tool but I checked it anyway (I don't want to assume anything).

Lowell - No, your suggestion definitely does not sound silly. You are trying to give me ideas on how I might solve my problem - I thank you. I haven't tried resharpening the blade but I may do it later if I get out to the shop. Right now I am still gasping after returning from a trial membership trip to the gym and I almost don't have the strength to lift the plane!

If that doesn't work (the blade is very sharp) I will contact Lie Nielsen. Like I said in the original post, I figured I must have had brain fade and someone would say something like "you've got the blade in sideways."

Thanks everyone. I will post the solution I get from LN.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Could you post a picture of the back of the blade?

Doug, could you take a photo of both sides of the plane, the one with the ruler is the other side of the plane than the picture without the ruler. (sorry to be such a pain) but could you put the plane on a dark surface, the blue carpet in your last photo is so close to the color of the iron, it's hard to tell. I think I spot something, but I can't tell for sure if it a carpet thread in the background or an anomally in the way the mouth is seated in the front of the plane. Even a picture of the bottom might help... I know, I am soooo demanding!

Doug

I see an opportunity here;

" Hey honey, I have to go up to Lie-Nielsen's in Maine and have them check this out for me. For this much money it should work....... What's that dear?.. No, no I don't think we'll have time to stop in Kittery on the way up, need to get this taken care of. Maybe I should drive up alone"

Seriously though. Just call LN. I am absolutely sure that they'll tell you to UPS it to them. They really are good about that.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

+1 on call LN. I wouldn't file it or lap it -- I'm sure if they can't get you going on the phone they'll have you send it in. They are A+ on customer support -- don't ask me why I know this!!

Has it been dropped? If so Is the sole still perfectly flat and coplanar? Ive never handled an LN but I did have a stanley no 10 with issues of the toe section being non coplanar.