Thread: Well the local Woodcraft Shop....

Well the local Woodcraft Shop....

had a sharpening demonstration today. Mel was guys first name, he did a great job of demonstrating and keeping folks interested. Nothing really mystic about it, he just covered the basic of plane irons, chisels, and rounded gouges. Very interesting to watch the process in person instead of a blurry U tube video. I bought a bunch of stuff (which was the purpose of going) and tuned up the 2 block planes I recently bought when I got home. Wow what difference a jig and a few nice stone.

Yesterday I sharpened the old # 3 (by hand, it didn't need much)and went out to the 100 year old oak plank I've been goofing with. Man, one portion that had just straight grain was smoother than any sand paper could get it. I 'm extremely impressed. Now I just need to build a nice wood working bench to hold stuff still. LOL I looked like a monkey playing with a football trying to hold that board still.

There is no substitute for a nice sharp blade and when you finally find a technique that works for you - heaven!
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

David,

I bet that your instructor, Mel, is a retired NASA fellow that works part time for Woodcraft. Heck of a nice guy - or should I say, pretty sharp fellow....

4. Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    David,

I bet that your instructor, Mel, is a retired NASA fellow that works part time for Woodcraft. Heck of a nice guy - or should I say, pretty sharp fellow....
    So sharpening is rocket sience in the end???

Cheers
    Pedder

Quote Originally Posted by Pedder Broockmann View Post
    So sharpening is rocket sience in the end???

Cheers
    Pedder
    Yes. Especially on plane irons and chisels. Not so much on saws....

-Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    David,

Yup thats him!!!!!!!!! I knew someone would know him. he had it all together.

DO BE CAREFUL trying to HOLD a piece of wood and plane it. As a guitar maker,always planing tin struts,etc.,I've taken of a few "potato chips",usually from my thumb. I've annoyingly injured myself more with a block plane than any other hand tool.

Wow, George. Of all the tools out there, I use I would NEVER have thought a block plane would be more dangerous than, say, a chisel. It does makes sense when you explain it, though...
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Right after I finished buying several sanders and sand paper I read that Hnad Planes leave a better surface and No Dust!
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource