Thread: Wire run from house to shop

Wire run from house to shop

hey, electrical guru's - i need to power a small shop (outbuilding) and use 12-2 wire; what kind of power loss (if any) will i incur with a 75' run? not desireable wire gauge info, best set-up, but how will this perform, if you actually know? hard on the tools? power loss? thanks for the info.

The calculator I found says <2V drop in 75' at 15A (say you are running a TS.)

The bigger issue is that 12ga wire is going to allow for a 20A circuit. I'm not sure what tools you plan to run, but that's going to be pretty limiting.

The wire size

is really based upon the amps you are sending out to the outbuilding. Here's a link to wire sizes and amp ratings - and these numbers are really only valid for shorter runs. You go 50 feet or more and you'll probably have to upsize the wire. Best to find an electrician friend and ask them!

http://www.encorewire.com/docs/amp%20voltage.pdf

I ran 8 - 3 wire 30 feet out to my shop and used a 50 amp breaker in the panel. Has worked well.

My 2 cents worth.....

I would also go with at least 8 gauge. It costs more, but you won't regret it.

Finewoodworking had a chart of feet versus gauge. Probably 15 or 20 years ago. I had a 150 foot run to my shop. Used 6 gauge wire. Never regretted it.

Bill

"You have to learn from other's mistakes, there isn't enough time to make them all yourself." old proverb.

I once had a shop 100 ft from the house. The previous owner had run 1 pc of 14/2 out to it. Couldn't do a thing out there w/o tripping the breaker. Wound up running a 60 amp wire out from the house so I could run the table saw and the light at the same time.