Thread: Bandsaw Dust Extraction - 18" Jet

Bandsaw Dust Extraction - 18" Jet

From what I have read bandsaw dust extraction is a bit of a problem. I was having a look at my Jet tonight as I want to hook it up to my DE system and wonder if there are any fluid dynamic guys or anyone else for that matter here who might be able to guide me in the best way forward.

There is one problem to my simple way of thinking, when the door is closed there is no way that air can enter the case of the saw as fast as it is extracted thus the dust won't be picked as it is pulled down by the blade into the cabinet thus no air in = no air out and no dust picked up. Of course it won't be quite that bad but it won't be good either.

The dust port is placed right up under the table so in theory, yeah right, as the blade pulls the dust down the port pulls the dust out of the blade kerf but if this does not occur as I suspect it won't the dust falls to the bottom of the cabinet. So I scratched my head and got some splinters in the fingers and came up with a plan. If I made a hole in the cabinet opposite the dust port the air would rush across the blade and most of the dust would be dragged off the blade by the passing air which sounds entirely reasonable to me. The question is do I make the hole in the cabinet wall the same size as the exit port the same size, larger or smaller. There would normally be some air drawn down into the lower cabinet by the blade and some will be get in via other leakage but if I made it the same size or larger I guess those air sources really will not add much air at all. Comments please.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 04-25-2010 at 8:49 AM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening