Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal for philips head bits to just sheer off?!?!

Is it normal for philips head bits to just sheer off?!?!

The other day I was creating a fence for my bandsaw(Im cheap, and really dont want to buy a fence that I can make(had some Makarov polycarb left from a project.) The screw was giving me trouble going in all the way. It began to torque out of my hand. I held it down a little better, and next think I hear is a loud crack. I thought I broke the polycarb.... nope... the top half of the philips bit completely broke off of the bottom half...

I have broken screws off at the head before. As well as breaking drill bits(I knocked the drill off where I had it pearched for ease of grabing, and the 1/16th bit broke in half.) But this is the first time I have done this... so now, I have to find the time to go get another freakin bit.....

Talk about luck.....

-Brendan

I've broken dozens of them that way over the years Brendan. Tends to happen more when I use the impact driver, but I recall it happening from time to time with corded and cordless drills as well. Never hurts to have a few extras on hand!

Bits do sometimes break. Are you telling us you only had one bit? Buy your bits by the pound, you'll never run out. In my experience, bits stay in new condition for only a short time. They're cheap and should be replaced as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Bits do sometimes break. Are you telling us you only had one bit? Buy your bits by the pound, you'll never run out. In my experience, bits stay in new condition for only a short time. They're cheap and should be replaced as needed.
    Thats what I am telling ya! Cut me some slack, I am still an *hate to say this* inexperienced woodworker... I never knew that they break that often.... I guess me not buying bulk is like my common mistake of thinking that I can walk barefoot in the same place I do my woodworking(pulled many a nail from my foot..)

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Brendan

buy decent bits and they should not break, buy cheap bits and they tend to break. that's my experience anyways.

Yes it is common...they are made to shear off so you don't damage the screw or your drill Totally joking of course! But, not surprising with the new "quality" of things being made these days.

I've never seen one shear off at the shank but the little "wings" that make the cross part of the bit can wear out fairly quick. Once you've worn one down and change to a new bit the difference is really noticeable.

Driver bits beaking

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    The other day I was creating a fence for my bandsaw(Im cheap, and really dont want to buy a fence that I can make(had some Makarov polycarb left from a project.) The screw was giving me trouble going in all the way. It began to torque out of my hand. I held it down a little better, and next think I hear is a loud crack. I thought I broke the polycarb.... nope... the top half of the philips bit completely broke off of the bottom half...

I have broken screws off at the head before. As well as breaking drill bits(I knocked the drill off where I had it pearched for ease of grabing, and the 1/16th bit broke in half.) But this is the first time I have done this... so now, I have to find the time to go get another freakin bit.....

Talk about luck.....

-Brendan
    Brendan,

I have used square drive and phillips bits in my cordless drills for over 25 years and never broken a bit. And yes, I use them in 18v impact drivers such as Makita and Ryobi as well. I have always bought my bits from McFeelys where I also buy my screws. I have a square drive bit I bought over 20 years ago that I still use. I have driven 3 1/2 inch screws building decks and everything in between. In my own experience I buy quality and that has worked very well for me. Never bought bulk driver bits.

Jack

I have never seen that happen. However as others menton it is always good to have extra driver bits. I tend to have extra bits on hand of various lengths "just in case". These days I tend to use square drive screws and bits from Mcfeely's, so I am accumulating bits.

On the good side it is better to have the bit fail rather than the screw break inside the plastic. Then you would had a really difficult time saving that workpiece.

Vijay

Brendan-

It's obvious you're buying BETTER FASTENERS than I wind up with

The heads always snap off my fasteners, if anything.

Never broken a bit, either....

This is one of those deals, the more work you do, the more stuff you break. The guys in my shop, and myself, have broken screw tips, drill bits up to 1/2", router bits, sanding belts, and most other power tool accessories. We try to keep enough extras on hand, and treat them as consumables.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Brendan-

It's obvious you're buying BETTER FASTENERS than I wind up with

The heads always snap off my fasteners, if anything.

Never broken a bit, either....
    Lol.... I think it was just too much torque on it(drilling though polycarbonate as well as fir.)

-Broken dozens of phillips driver heads
    -A handful of square drive heads
    -And just about every other "grabber" screw I have used broke. (the worst screw ever invented is still a favorite of many carpenters)
    -Dozens of allen head set screws have broke
    -Thousands of allen head screws stripped.

Those who claim to never have broken anything are obviously physically weak, or have not actually spent much time building stuff.

-Steve

Driver bits are expendable and you should always have extras on hand.

I am guilty of using most of the driver bits too long. They tend to wear on the edges and then will more easily come out especially the phillips. Now, I usually throw them away when they show wear ont he tips rather than risk a problem driving them.

As other have alread said - Buy good quality and buy plenty of them.

Maybe thats why the screws were always getting stripped....

The borg stores sell cheap screws. I've had many of them break off.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night