Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Grumbine Video

Bill Grumbine Video

It had been suggested to me to get the Bill Grumbine video when asking questions about problems I had while turning my first rough bowl. I got the video and have to say that most of what I was doing was wrong and I thank all of you that made the suggestion to get the video. The one thing he didn't cover in the video is at what speed do you rough out the bowl and then when doing the final turning after drying, what speed to use. Can some of you share the speed process you use from the time you put the blank on the lathe right on through to the finished bowl? Thank you in advance, Rob

Rob, I believe that speed is our friend. I go slow as necessary until it is in balance. Then crank up the speed until it scares me, then back off a little, 'til I'm not scared.
    That's it in a nutshell. A little dramatic, but that's what I do. Your experience may vary.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I usually start between 200-300 rpm when doing most bowls, sometimes a bit lower if it is a bit out of balance.
    I then speed up to maybe 600-700 depending on the size of the blank.
    There is a formula stated that Diameter x RPM=6000-9000.
    I am not sure where this comes from, but, I have seen Del Stubbs, Dale Nish, Mike Mahoney and others use it.

The speed varies with eh size and shape of the blank. Bigger needs slower. And the less round and evenly balanced the blank is, the slower as well. If you try to spin a large or poorly balanced blank too fast, your lathe will start to vibrate and wobble like an out of balance washing machine on spin. Also, beginners tend to need slower until they get comfortable. With experience, faster is nice because it makes cutting seem smoother and just removes material quicker.

Your wood type and many other variable will all come into play in terms of speed. You need to develop judgement about it.

Specific example might help:

For roughing a medium sized blank in something like maple or cherry, I would say that you need not go over 400 or so to start, and there is nothing wrong with slower, it just means that the process will take a few minutes longer. If the lathe starts to wobble or vibrate, you are obviously going too fast and need to dial it back.

I am still finding my way on this, but I do agree with the concept stated by Allen - speed is our friend. On the smaller pieces I have been doing, I have found that increasing the speed into the mid teens - 1200 - 1500 really helps with certain woods. Of course, the surface speed isn't all that much different than turning a 9-10" bowl at 6-700.

Roughing out is mostly by feel. Sometimes there is a sweet spot where the out of balance blank will run a little smoother faster or slower - but generally around 2-300 to start and feel it out from there.

Rob,

Here's a reference that I use

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...the_speeds.pdf
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you everyone. This information is very helpful! Of course I knew enough not to let things go thump thump thump but I didn't know if there was a starting speed, when to really crank things up etc. When I was doing my first try at a bowl, I was at about 200 and never did get above 450 during the rough out. It just never felt safe, but then again, the technique was wrong, the bowl never did get truly into round and my lathe bench was banging against the wall if I went any higher in speed. Hopefully now that I've learned how to do things a little more, I'll have a better feel for things.

Rob - glad you got the video - it is great!

You didn't mention if you have a variable speed lathe or not. If have a variable - basically turn the speed up until the lathe starts to vibrate - then back it off until it smooths out. As you rough out the blank - you will be able to increase the speed in steps as the blank becomes more balanced.

When I rough out a blank - I usually start around 400 rpm more or less - depending on how out of balance it is. When I turn the speed up - I never go faster than 1000 rpm even when balanced - but that is just my personal preference.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I adjust my speed control up until I get some vibration then back it down until the vibration stops. Then as I'm turning I keep bumping up the speed mainly it's a comfort thing. I find that I get better cut at higher speed

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    Rob, I believe that speed is our friend. I go slow as necessary until it is in balance. Then crank up the speed until it scares me, then back off a little, 'til I'm not scared.
    That's it in a nutshell. A little dramatic, but that's what I do. Your experience may vary.

Ditto!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    Rob, I believe that speed is our friend.
    I agree somewhat with Allen. But like all friends, it takes a while to become friends. With bowls and other off balance blanks start slow, <500 or slowest speed your lathe has. You can turn slow til the cows come home and it won't hurt anything. As you get more comfortable with the whole turning thing you'll find times when speed helps, times when it works better to just keep going slow. But anything you do wrong will usually be amplified by speed.

Rob:
    I'm pretty much with everyone else here. Start slow and speed up as it balances. I also do what others suggest and pick a speed that doesn't make the lathe vibrate. Bill is a very approachable man. I had a question and sent him an email. He promptly replied so give that a shot also.

Michael

One thing about speed. At 700 rpm's one has a chance to duck, zig or zig. When something goes bad at the lathe at 1500 rpm's one dosn't have time and bad things can get a lot worse. Being a high school shop teacher I turn slower than most so not to teach my students to turn at high speed. One of them ducks, zig or zag's most weeks and it helps having them at lower speeds.
    Jack

Must disagree with the "turn it up until it shakes and then turn it down" approach. Obviously if it shakes, turn it down. But start slow, at a speed that feels comfortable and safe to you. Work your way up gradually as the piece becomes round and balanced, but only to a speed that feels comfortable and safe to you. Your "comfortable" speed will increase with experience. Certainly many turners are comfortable with high speeds (and some awfully proud of it), but like Steve I never shift the belt to "high" range (above 1250 rpm), even for toothpicks.
    Richard in Wimberley

The speed at which I turn is a function of the lathe I use. 550 rpm is the slowest it will go so that's what I start out at, regardless of size or balance.

As soon as possible, however, I go up to the next speed increment, which is 900 RPM. That's where I stay for larger pieces...over 9 inches or so. For smaller vessels, I'll often go up to the next stop which is 1250 RPM.

In most cases, faster is better as long as there is no vibration. The more balanced the piece and the smaller the piece, the faster it can be turned.

When turning pens, duck calls, etc, I usually run the lathe near the 3000 rpm range.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln