Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Project - Krenov Cabinet

First Project - Krenov Cabinet

I've just completed my first full project since deciding to take up woodworking as a hobby. It takes a while to stock up on the tools, so it's finally nice to have something finished.

The cabinet was made for my wife who plays and teaches piano. So the idea is that she and my daughters can store their music in it next to the piano. The cabinet isn't actually completed because at some stage I'll add legs and an internal tray/drawer.

Maple was used throughout and the top and bottom pieces have a bird's eye pattern. The finish was BLO and CAB-acrylic lacquer. The doors are curved on the outside and flat on the inside. It was fun to use sketchup to design the door profile.

There's plenty of defects, the door aren't exactly vertical, tearout around reversing grain on the top, my spray set up I'm sure was a bit dry. But it's an honest attempt and was lots of fun to make.

Any criticisms, suggestions or questions are most welcomed. I'm new to this and so have plenty to learn

Blog Entries
    Beautiful wood and it looks like a really functional piece. You did it proud.
    Have a Nice Day!

Wow! Really great for a first project! You are gifted with natural talent.
    Only thing I would change are the pulls. That cabinet deserves some hand carved pulls.

Great selection of wood too.
    Fullerbuilt

Phillip : Fine job here > you should have a big pat on the back .......
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

Gorgeous wood, proportions and execution. Well done. If this is your first project, your 5th one is going to be a masterpiece.

-Mike

Ditto what Mike said.
    Ambitious first project, beautifully done.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

my only negative comment on a nice piece would be the handles on the doors. I'm not too keen on those.

I loved the curved top, bottom, and drawers, and will try that on my next one.

good job !
    MARK

door pulls

To Mark and Eiji

I totally agree with you about the door pulls. The stock handles were used because I ran out of time (and patience?) because it was a birthday present. But I think I'm going to get a carving knife and try to make handles to retrofit onto the cabinet. If you have any advice on what type of knife to get, please let me know. I know Krenov recommends a handle with fat ends.

Phillip

Very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is gorgeous!

As a fan of Krenovien style furniture, this is a nice peice! nice looking wood and lines! As others said, the pulls are not my favorits... and on your next one try the carved latche to keep the doors closed, they look better than magnets and are more discret. maybe one more thing, and this is totaly a personal thing, is the laquer finish, I hate laquer!!
    But overall you made realy good work and talented indeed you are.

Beautiful work on the cabinet Phillip.

Very nice cabinet. I envy your execution especially on a first project.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

... I get by with a little help from my friends.

Everyone has been so encouraging. But I want to thank SMC'ers for helping me out. I asked a couple of questions during the making of the cabinet about prepping Maple, and finishing, and got good answers from people like Jeff Jewitt who gave answers that made sense and were practical.

It may be your first project but it looks like you been doing this for years. Great job.

Bob