Thread: Old Dresser restoration, lots of pics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old Dresser restoration, lots of pics

This is an old dresser my mom given at Goodwill. It was by the door about to be thrown out and she wanted to see how good I could make it look so she took it.

Now this may be an antique but it was way too far gone to try and save the integrity of it. So I decided to tighten the hell out of it.

All the joints were so loose I just pulled it apart with minimal effort. I had to make a few new drawer guides on the inside. It was off square by almost 2". Now it is within 1/16 of an inch square. The top was so warped that if you put the back flat on a table the front was almost 3.5 inches off the table.

Sanded everything down to a 220 all the way around to remove imperfections. Had to reglue all the dovetails for the drawers. The sides were so far gone I had to replace them with 3/16 birch ply. I don't know what kind of wood the dresser was but it was close enough in color to match.

The stain is a first coat of Provincial Minwax. Wasn't happy with the tone so I darkened it with a heavy second coat or Dark Walnut Minwax. The finish is a base coat of Teak Oil with 4 coats of 50/50 Helmsmann poly and Teak oil mix, sanding with 600 grit between coats. I have been told this isn't a good finishing technique and I will stay away from it from now on but it still came out looking great. Will sit in a spare bedroom of my mom's and never be used anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Shinall; 04-27-2010 at 12:24 AM.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.