Thread: Can Rack and Pinion be added aftermarket?

Can Rack and Pinion be added aftermarket?

I was wondering whether R and P can be added to a bandsaw's guard after market. I keep dropping the stinking guard on either my thumb, or the ZCI. I have so far broken 2 ZCIs that I made out of lexan...

I was just intrigued to ask whether this can be done as an aftermarket mod, as to prevent the freefall. Now before you ask, I generally try to hold the arm, but, if I have a piece of decent sized stock in my hand, to position the guard correctly, its kind of hard...

Other than refining your technique, the easiest thing to do is stick a measuring tape on the guard. If you're cutting 3/4, set it for 7/8, or something like that, and you're on your way. It's not too uncommon to find the guards with measurements on them. They sell self stick tape for just such an applications (and fences, stick it down to your bench, cross cut sleds, etc...). R&P is overrated, IMHO. I find it's much quicker to just slide it where you want it. I did get a kick out of making the guard go up and down when I first got my 19", though. They do start getting kind of heavy and difficult to maneuver in the larger sizes because of all the metal and bearings around the guard, and the crank is convenient to fine tune it on the larger saws.

Like this:
    http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/i...odid=ST-SST.XX
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 04-28-2010 at 3:09 PM. Reason: added link for measuring tape

I put a spring on mine so it wont drop completely down.

Blog Entries
    I usually place the material to be cut under the guide and then make my adjustment. It can't hit the table if there is material in teh way.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Iturra Designs sells a guidepost counter balancer that's sort of like a big retractable keychain reel. Might be exactly what you're looking for.