Thread: Ashley Iles fishtail chisels

Ashley Iles fishtail chisels

Does anyone have an opinion about these fishtail chisels? I'm talking abotu the three flat-ended ones at the top of the page. Thanks

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ash_fishtail.htm

Do you want to use them to clean out half blinds, to clean out through dovetails or to carve?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Do you want to use them to clean out half blinds, to clean out through dovetails or to carve?
    Clean out half-blinds. Honestly, I didn't think they had any other uses.

Those almost look like they are intended to carve but they may work ok for half blinds. I picked up a couple Lie Nielsons for the exact purpose and absolutely love them. They are very well designed and give you plenty of flare to reach the tight spaces of a half blind. Really all you would need is the 3/8" version which isn't bad considering you would need two skew chisels to perform the same function. I highly reccomend the LN version.

They're designed as carving chisels, hence they have a double bevel. Click the picture to get a larger image to se the double bevel. You could still use them to clean out your half blinds if you wanted to though.

I have a fish tail chisel from Blue Spruce that I like, but I think the LN one with the long handle is nicer...