Thread: Mobile Base for Bandsaw?

Mobile Base for Bandsaw?

I purchased a Delta 28-276 14 inch bandsaw recently and am realizing that I need a base. I was hoping to just put it in a location and leave it, but I used it for the first time last night and couldn't feet a two foot board through it without hitting the wall.

So, I'm trying to decide about making one. Can I just put four wheels on the base? I already have a piece of plywood bolted to the bottom, can I just put the wheels on so that it's wheel, ply and then base, all bolted together?

I probably won't be moving it more than 6 feet ever.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I purchased the mobile base kit from Rockler for my band saw. It works well. You just have to be careful moving the saw because band saws are by nature top heavy.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you don't mind the added height, yes you can put casters on the plywood. Going to look funny though

The main thing is to buy good casters. Nothing from Harbor Fill or the Home Despot. If the casters don't roll easily, the base won't last - most likely screws will pull out of your plywood or if they're through bolted you run the risk of tipping the whole thing over.

You can also make a plywood "tub" for the saw to sit in. Tub height should be a little smaller than your intended caster. Then screw and glue boards to the top edge of two opposing sides of the tub, the boards being long enough to hang over the sides and have the casters attached to the bottom. I built one like this to hold an old Delta/Rockwell jointer with one of those cast iron bases. Held up fine, but I had to make a new one when I threw out the Horrible Fright casters that I'd used. They had a different plate size than the good ones I bought, so I couldn't easily retrofit the wood base. Replacement was made out of angle iron, being so much easier to modify in the future.

I somewhat agree with John. I've got a set of Zambus casters under my MM16 and Footmaster under my jointer/planer and they're the best mobility option I've used though they're pricey. That said, I think casters are a bit of overkill for a 14" BS. They're light enough that a good welded frame mobile base is plenty sturdy and probably you're best bet unless you want to build something. Check prices for Delta bases on Amazon. I'm not a fan of the universal base kits where you supply wood for the sides. After a couple years the holes start wearing/enlarging and you end up with a base that racks and stutters when you try to move it.
    Use the fence Luke

Jeremy, I did just that last weekend. I too have the Delta 14" bandsaw, and I needed to be able to move it around somewhat. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood and bolted it to the bottom. Under that I put 4 casters that I got from Grizzly. Rolls around just find and is very sturdy once I lock it in place. I like the increased height, about 5", as well.

Woodcraft just put the HTC-3000 on sale for $69.99 and you get free shipping at $75.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...fcode=10IN05NL

The one that I bought for my Laguna is about as simple as they come. The saw weighs a lot and the system is only a piece of rod through the existing base with some nylon wheels and a tongue on the front. You'll have to also make the dolly part, but it's not to complicated to build and really works well.

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...lity-Kit-Small

Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking that building one would be cheaper, I could always upgrade by buying one.

So, with only thinking about building one, I'm thinking either 1/2 inch ply with the casters under that, or a few 2x4s with the casters then attached to that. I think either choice wouldn't be complicated, not sure which would be better for stability. Thanks!

My personal experience with building a mobile base is this: Just about any swivel wheel that you get (I'm assuming that you aren't going to pay the money that would get you the "best" wheels, otherwise it would be cheaper to buy a mobile base) will have too much slop in it and will make your BS rock. I bought some pretty decent 4" ones from Grizzly, and they, too, still had too much slop.

If you insist on making your own, I would recommend two stationary (non-swivel) wheels, and one swivel opposite them. On the two corners without wheels (where you would probably have put wheels) put adjustable stoppers. This, by all means, isn't the easiest way to move the BS around, but it works, and you won't get "rocking" from your mobile base.

Here is what I did. I actually built this as a temp mobile base until I find one on CL for a steal. It works just fine, and I may just keep it. The pic isn't the best, but the wheels are hidden under the base, and you can see one of the stops. I don't move this thing much, but I can when I need to...

Oops, I already posted the pics once, so it won't let me do it again, so here is a link to what I did...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...20109#poststop
    I drink, therefore I am.

I added these casters from Woodcraft to my Delta 14" bandsaw.
    I have used these casters on several pieces of equipment and they work great.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...3-8aeb0431635b

Ditch the metal stand and build yourself a cart. I built one just like the guy in the link below and it works great.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126069

I just bolted 2 - 5" casters to the back side of my saw as low as possible. All I have to do is tilt the saw back to me, and wheel it around. It is top heavy though, I won't let my wife move it. It's worked well for me.