Thread: "Custom" Classic Tools Fun

Talking "Custom" Classic Tools Fun

Hi folks,
    This is my first post - have been reading your great messages for a while. By way of introduction, I have been an amateur wood carver, carpenter, and traditional woodworker for about the last 30 years (unfortunately my day job has little to do with any of these).

By necessity, I also collect old user hand tools - usually by the rusty box load from a barn sale. Some have value, but only after a lot of restoration.

Sometimes I find a tool that has been customized beyond any collectible value - because some brother Neanderthal had a job to do and the tool needed "adjustment". I don't mean to poke fun at these guys - but some of their solutions are kind of funny and can be heartbreaking if you could have sold the tool for LV/LN cash.

I'd like to share a couple I have, see if you-all care to share in the comiseration with ones of yours. The idea isn't that the tool was broken - just improved..

First: Late model Stanley Bailey N0. 22 Transitional Plane with trick sole. Belonged to my grandfather the finish carpenter who hopefully just kept it going for sentimental reasons. The wood sole is worn right up to the "Stanley 22" stamp.
    Stan 22.jpg
    Not sure if this is some sort of aftermarket repair device - it's aluminum and the mouth is precisely made. Notice the wear on the brass screws where a few got proud of their countersunk hole- hope he just adjusted doors with it.
    Stan 22 Sole.jpg

Next shot shows the wide-open throat - fits plenty of shavings before clogging...
    Stan 22 throat.jpg
    My second Custom Classic is an early 20th century 3-inch Paring chisel by Greenlee. Been wanting one for years, and saw the socket and blade base sticking up from a box of rusty files at an auction. After I bought the lot for 5 bucks, I pulled Excaliber out and saw the do-it-yourself Neander Moulding Plane project that hadn't quite been finished. It still has 6 inches or so left on the blade, so I suppose I could grind it down to use - but then all the effort taken to grind the profile would be lost to history. Besides, I'm betting I'd have to re-temper the blade - I doubt he could have ground it like that without sinking it first. You think he was going to just freehand-carve moulding with it? (It's a joke, son, look at me when I'm talkin' to ya)
    Paring 1.jpg
    Paring 2.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you liked it - anybody care to share? I'll try to be more serious next time...

Welcome to Sawmill Creek Karl.
    Great post. I must confess I have been guilty of modifying a few tools myself. Hopefully none have been of great value. I collect drills, primarily Millers Falls hand drills, you know- the eggbeater type. What I see most often are very crude repair jobs, things like bolts to replace handles and a chunk of band iron to replace a crank arm. Next time I get a real doozie of a repair, I will have to post a pic of it.

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan, good to meet you. I don't have any eggbeaters, but I have a pile of common braces and a nice Millers Falls Shoulder brace - oh and a really beat-up boring machine that I plan to post a restoration thread on when I get to it.

The only "custom" drill piece I have is the 2-foot threaded rod welded to a 3/4 inch auger bit - I'm sure everyone has seen something like that. For drilling "over there"

Later,
    Karl

Karl, welcome to SMC.
    Interesting tools there. A fair amount of work & skill went into that Neander Molding Plane, it probably served its intended purpose.
    I've been known to "improve" a tool or two!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Karl,

Welcome to the Creek.

I had a gouge that was cut something like your Neander molding chisel. It would actually cut a bead while cutting a flute. I returned it to its normal gouge shape.

I also have a chisel that has a half round edge. I have not fixed that yet, maybe I should take a picture.

I have also modified an old chisel to use on the lathe to cut beads. It needs a little work.

I have also turned a couple of chisels into skew chisels.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

As primarily a carver, I cringe more at abused chisels and gouges than other tools. I'm getting ready to restore a large framing mortise chisel that was used as a hammer and anvil on very hard nails.

Sounds like yours are good working modifications that do the job - I've made a couple extreme-angle skews out of palm chisels for grounding those hard-to reach spots (i.e. carving pine needles in relief)

I hadn't been thinking "turning tool" -maybe I'll try touching the moulding chisel to a spinning spindle on the lathe and see what happens...think I'll make a REALLY long handle for it first.

If I did it more that once, it would be the most consistent lathe work I've produced.

Later,
    Karl

Welcome Karl. I agree with Bruce, the bevel geometry on the chisel turned into a molding plane blade is quite well done and has almost all of the proper relief angles. Whoever made it knew what they were doing and was quite skilled. I wonder if it was made to fit in the stock of a molding plade where the blade had been lost or it was just a case of someone needing good steel and this was what was available? Guessing intent is in iteslf one of the slipperiest slopes
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Might have been used as a turning tool for a bunch of the same profile turnings,like for stair cases.