Thread: Poitras Serial Number Code

Poitras Serial Number Code

Does anyone know the code that Poitras used on their machinery? I have a model 2800 shaper I inherited from my Dad. The serial number is S.68.28.712. I'm guessing the 'S' is for shaper, the '68' is the year it was made (I still have the bill and my Dad bought it new in early 1969), the '28' is a truncation of the model number 2800, and the '712' is the unit number made in that year. This makes sense but its only speculation.

You might find info on your old machine at http://www.owwm.com/

3. and www.owwm.org for the forums. I have a poitras jointer, they made fine machines.

Thanks! I've just found the OWWM. Looks like a great website for folks like me that really enjoy the old stuff. I'm just waiting for my membership confirmation.

Poitras did indeed make some fine equipment. The table on my shaper is flatter and smoother than anything else I've seen. Its almost a mirror. Now I'm starting to look for one of their 12" planers to replace an old Foley-Belsaw. The Foley does make boards thinner but the rattling tin is deafening.

Sorry I don’t give out my personal numbers… … I just couldn’t resist with a name like mine.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

If you're still looking for information on the Poitras equipment, you might try calling General. They bought out Poitras back in the 80s.