Thread: sand devil sanding block

sand devil sanding block

I just ordered one of these. I think the idea of using 3x21 sanding belts is incredible. It will keep the sanding belts flat and belts will last a long time.
    I can't wait to get it. Genius idea imo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...78V9KKH2V70H53

I just bought one this past weekend!! Weird timing!

And it works great! It comes with 80 grit on it which is good for rough work.

Using belts is a LOT easier than dealing with attaching paper to a block... and the belts won't tear when you hit a corner or something sharp. I won't be buying much paper anymore.

The only thing I though was that it could be revamped to hold the paper tighter... that clamp thing seems like it would be too loose... although it still works fine, so maybe not... Tell me what you think once you get it.

I got mine for $19.99 at Peachtree USA http://www.ptreeusa.com/sanding_blocks.htm which happens to be local to me (although it's pretty far) - these guys have great deals.

Now they should just make one that hold those thin belts! Sell 'em as a pair! I just patented that, BTW - just in case. LOL

On a different note: I also bought a Grrr ripper!!! The advanced one ($89?) Can't wait to try it.

Correction on that GRR-RIPPER price, guys!! The PeachtreeUSA site has it listed for $69.99 for the 200 Model!! The Older 100 model is $49.99... That's a GOOD deal for these.

Ptree is going to refund me the difference! Great folks.

Thumbs up

I ordered some 3M 150 and 80 grit regalite belts for this block. I used the 150 grit this weekend and this combo is amazing. I was able to focus on sanding my work and not had to worry about the paper. My purple regalite was not loose. The only thing i noticed is the gap between the stretcher and the main body. I could feel it as it went over an edge. I am thinking about placing something to fill the gap or just a sheet of cardstock under the belt. If your belt is loose, maybe a piece of cardstock or a sheet of plastic will tighten your belt. I consider this block a precision tool compared to other blocks. Using my belt eraser renewed the belt beautifully every time. I'm a happy camper. If you modify yours, please post. I'll do the same. I agree about not needing to buy sandpaper too often any longer. I have a 80 grit regalite belt on my rigid oscillating belt sander and have use it for over six months and is still like new after cleaning. I highly recommend these indutrial purple belts from 3M. I just wish they make a 220grit.

I got 220 (not purple 3m)... but I do have a box of 3M purple 100 (or was it 150?)

Great stuff!

Keep in mind the tape that is used to close the loop on a sanding belt is now sold with a 2 year shelf life. Don't stock up on too many unless you expect to use a lot. I believe the grit on a purple 3M belt will last longer than the glue if used for hand sanding.
    fmr

OH oh!! Mine... is hmmm... really old.... over 5 years proly! I did have one bust, but it snagged on something - right at the seam, too! What are the odds??

2 year shelf life on the tape is good to know. I have some belts that are about 4 years old and they are still good on my oscillating belt sander. I'm just lucky they did not break yet. I'm not sure if I can wear out the regalite grit. The resin that 3M uses to bind the abrasive is amazingly tough.

I needed to hand sand tonight and I made a small strip of oak that perfectly fits into the void between the main base and the stretcher. Now the sander is perfect. I tried to wear down the 150 grit regalite but failed once again.

Mike - would you kindly take a picture of that?

The sanding block is a great idea. I have used a piece of 2x4 placed inside a sanding belt for years - this thing looks better.

Here is a picture of the little insert I added to the bottom. You can make one for the top side as well if needed. sandDevilInsert.jpg

Doh! Good price... unless there's S&H...

About the picture... I thought you were talking about something else!

I actually did something last night where I inserted a flat piece, maybe 2mm thick, where the lever engages the other side to tighten it down. Doing that made it REAL tight! That's what I had an issue with... I'll take a pic if anyone wants to see that.