Thread: Is this an adequate air cleaner for a small shop?

Is this an adequate air cleaner for a small shop?

Hello,

Would this air cleaner be okay for a small shop? I have an 19'x11'x8' shop, and my calculations show that running this at 200cfm for an hour would allow a little over 7 air exchanges per hour (I have read that the target is 6 or more):

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1746.../dp/B000QD7YRS

The price is right, free shipping as well, and it filters down to .3 microns. It also has a timed shutoff. I was even thinking about two for my shop--not sure if that would be overkill. I'm especially interested in this unit because of the .3 micron filters.

Note that I'm not considering this as a substitute for a good dust collector--just a way to "clean up" fines after using the shop.

Any advice appreciated--thanks.

Chuck

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heav...r-Filter/G5955
    This is what I used in my shop about the size of yours. Works well for me.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Does that Grizzly air cleaner have a timer?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Does that Grizzly air cleaner have a timer?
    No it does not have a timer. I have it hooked up to my light switch so it is on when ever I am in the shop and off when I am not. Timers are available and cheap at hardware stores.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Never thought of Grizzly for an air cleaner. They also have the G0572, which is a bit more expensive than the model you show, but higher CFM capacity, and a timer to boot. I really like that these Grizzly air filters go down to 1 micron...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Chuck

The unit may "say" up to 200 sq ft of air/minute, but I doubt it would have the power to move air that is more than a few feet away. Hence I question whether it will really do what you want. There are air filters for shops that are meant to move air from across the room. The OP mentioned Grizzly. I have a JDS-750 which I have mounted near the ceiling (750 sq feet capacity). More expensive than what you are looking at, but it has a three stage filter system and really clears the air (also has a timer). Keep in mind that no filter system will replace dust collection at the source. These units run about $300.