Thread: Deadliest Catch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Deadliest Catch

The Discovery channel fan festival is tomorrow at the cruise terminal in Seattle, and tonight they are having a memorial for the late Captain Phil Harris. It is all being filmed and is expected to be on TV soon. This morning I watched some of the fishing boats arrive, no camera just the cell phone but I did get the Wizard and the Northwestern as they passed by the office window (during a meeting!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe, thats really cool, I enjoy that show. Looks like the water is some what calmer than what they are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Joe, thats really cool, I enjoy that show. Looks like the water is some what calmer than what they are used to.
    Yes, Elliot bay in Seattle is not the same as the Bering Sea, and we had a pretty calm day. The Discovery Channel website is carrying a live feed tomorrow.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I also enjoy the show. So far this season, captain Phil is still piloting the boat. How do they handle this on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I also enjoy the show. So far this season, captain Phil is still piloting the boat. How do they handle this on the show?
    I'll bet throwing a wreath overboard is involved. Maybe an old pick-up truck too.

No doubt they'll do a retrospective/tribute show. He was my favorite character.

I used to vacation every year at our house in Nova Scotia when I was a kid. At the time many of the old hunched over fishermen would sit around the local butcher shop and smoke, drink, cuss and tell the funniest stories you'd ever want to hear. Most of these guys were missing a finger or two.

I'd give anything to go back to those days with a camcorder. Thank God some of the local news shows captured a small bit of this generation on film.

If you're ever in Nova Scotia, visit the fisheries museum in Lunenburg and watch the films. The Deadliest Catch bunch has NOTHING on the guys who used to do this in sailing ships.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

My daughter and son in law got tickets for the memorial. They're both big fans, so they'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I'll bet throwing a wreath overboard is involved. Maybe an old pick-up truck too.

Which family is the one that their partiarchs is buried on some island rock outcropping and they steam there every year to pay tribute, I was thinking it was Phil's family but I could be wrong.

I have enjoyed the show over the years and it has given me a new respect for the prices of king and snow crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Which family is the one that their partiarchs is buried on some island rock outcropping and they steam there every year to pay tribute, I was thinking it was Phil's family but I could be wrong.

I have enjoyed the show over the years and it has given me a new respect for the prices of king and snow crab.

Van, that would be the Hillstrand family. As Jonathan told it a few years ago, he and his brothers carried their Dad's casket up that hill and buried him facing the sea. HUGE respect to these guys!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Van, that would be the Hillstrand family. As Jonathan told it a few years ago, he and his brothers carried their Dad's casket up that hill and buried him facing the sea. HUGE respect to these guys!

- Keith
    Thanks, I couldn't remember which family it was.

I love that show! Been hooked since the first episode.

Terry

I've also watched this show from day one.

What they are doing in tonight's episode is almost certainly staged for TV and seems like a stupid idea. I'll still be watching a little later tonight from my DVR.