Thread: Wood in Bahamas

Question Wood in Bahamas

We're going to Nassau, Bahamas in about 3 weeks and would like to bring home some wood tht is native to that area to use as pen blanks or other small items. Does anyone know what species are native to that area and if bringing wood back violates any laws pertaining to limitations on importing vegetation or other agricultural products?
    JB

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything but some pine there. You might but I'd be surprised.

Jim, in my experience you will find some of the most beautiful exotic woods, mahogany and northern temperate woods you can imagine in the bars and restaurants, but I don't think they'll let you have any samples...

Enjoy your vacation, don't worry be happy!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

There's a SMC member in Nassau, Dennis Lightbourn ........ PM and ask him.
    Tony

Jim
    you may want to contact U.S. Customs for info on importing wood, but be prepared - they may refer you to the department of agriculture
    Have a great trip
    Pat

Hi Jim,
    I'll do some digging both for wood and your Govt's regs - there are both US Customs and USDA offices here. Ours is a very small market and all of our lumber (99.99999% softwood) is imported. There are a couple of guys that turn, but they harvest/forage/scrounge whatever they are using. I've seen lignum vitae, mahogany, lime, sour-orange, pigeon plum and a few other local woods.

At the very least I can show your a couple samples of what "Big Mike" refered to!

Dennis

You won't have any problems bringing wood back as long as there is no evidence of wood eating insects and no bark on the wood.

Don't bring back wormy wood, wood with holes in it from bugs, wood with any bark on it or in it. Other than that you'll have no trouble.

When they give you that Customs form on the airplane, declare what you have and write on the form that "There is no evidence of wood eating insects nor any bark on the wood." Home free and clear.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm sure I'll see some of the things that Mike referenced, but I doubt that they would want to part with much of that.

I'll also check with the travel company that is putting the trip together. Sometimes they can be really helpful.

I'm not wanting to bring a bunch of stuff back. Just a few small pieces to make some pens or something else small to keep as a memory of the trip.

I know people have brought back stuff like carved elephants, fish, and dolphins from past trips. My daughter suggested I bring back one or two of those and cut it into pen blanks when I get home.
    JB

Jim,
    If you're not talking about a great quantity of wood, why don't you consider mailing to yourself? Also helps with space in your luggage.

Maurice

Mac is right

I checked with your USDA rep. at our pre-clearence center at the airport "no bugs, no bark - it's good to go!"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lightbourn
    I checked with your USDA rep. at our pre-clearence center at the airport "no bugs, no bark - it's good to go!"

Dennis
    Thanks for checking this out, Dennis. We're looking forward to visiting your area.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lightbourn
    I've seen lignum vitae, mahogany, lime, sour-orange, pigeon plum and a few other local woods.

At the very least I can show your a couple samples of what "Big Mike" refered to!

Dennis
    We're heading your way tomorrow, Dennis. We'll see what we can scare up while we're there.
    JB