Thread: Whats the difference between these two Jet saws?

Whats the difference between these two Jet saws?

Does Jet have a website? Im getting my information on these two saws through amazon, which isnt always that helpful. I was looking at two models:

Amazon has the first one for $649, and my local lowes has the second one for $598. I think the difference is the wings but I was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

Thanks!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    About 50 dollars!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jet is part of WMH Tool Group.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

From looking at the latest Jet catalog...they are the same saw. Jet doesn't list the 708301. You can email them at jet@wmhtoolgroup.com to find out more info.

Robert, I expect they are the same saw but your local Lowes has left the K off the sign.

Out of curiosity, how much more would it cost to get the saw with cast iron wings? I think it would be worth the extra bucks.

I got an email back from Jet already. They said the one without the K does not come with a fence. When I was in lowes it has a fence with it, so i guess they accidentily left the K off. I suspect one with iron wings is probably at least $100 more. The $600 is already beyond my small budget. Is there a huge advantage to iron wings? The sears saw I was looking at is the same price as this saw and has wider cutting capacity on both sides plus cast iron wings, dado insert, and a nice miter gauge with fence. But I know Jet has a better reputation.

The fence thing is interesting.

Solid cast iron wings will add a lot to the mass of the saw which helps to dampen vibration. They also tend to be flat which makes for a nicer surface IMHO.

Of course if you might be planning to replace a wing with a router table someday, maybe you're better off not buying the CI wings. The cool thing would be to find someone else who has replaced one of their CI wings with a router table and has the extra CI wing laying around.

Also, if you would be planning to build any sort of extension surfaces, You could just scrap the stamped wings at that time.

I have the cast iron wings and really like them. I haven't shopped for tablesaws lately but I'd guess I paid what you were mentioned above for my saw with the CI wings.