Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Fans, which sander should I pick up?

Festool Fans, which sander should I pick up?

I'm convinced on the merits of the Festool sanders and need to replace my dying Makita 5" ROS. I'm not a woodworking professional, just a hobbyist and have managed to get through most projects just using my old ROS and hand sanding. I do wide variety of project sizes.

That said, I'd like to pickup a Festool sander, but reviewing the options I get paralyzed while trying to make a choice. My questions to those that know are simple:
    1. If you were to own only 1 Festool sander, which one would it be?
    2. Is buying the vacuum system crucial for proper dust extraction (very important to me) or can I simply hook a shop vac to it?
    3. Assuming the vacuum is crucial, that introduces another part number choice. Which vac is the best to get?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Mr. Jeff Smith; 05-03-2010 at 3:17 PM.

If you only get one, get the 6" ROTEX 150. Best damned sander on the planet!!

I love mine (can you tell??)!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff Smith View Post
    I'm convinced on the merits of the Festool sanders and need to replace my dying Makita 5" ROS. I'm not a woodworking professional, just a hobbyist and have managed to get through most projects just using my old ROS and hand sanding. I do wide variety of project sizes.

That said, I'd like to pickup a Festool sander, but reviewing the options I get paralyzed while trying to make a choice. My questions to those that know are simple:
    2. Is buying the vacuum system crucial for proper dust extraction (very important to me) or can I simply hook a shop vac to it?
    3. Assuming the vacuum is crucial, that introduces another part number choice. Which vac is the best to get?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you in advance.
    Depends on whether you want a finishing sander or a general purpose sander.
    For a finish sander the ETS 150/3 is fantastic. You can sand all day (well practically).
    For general purpose sanding it has to be the Rotex 150, that can switch between aggressive mode and a finish mode.

The nice thing is that both the ETS/150 and the Rotex 150 use the same size abrasive sheets. Also with Festool you have 1 month to try out the product and return it or swap for something else. Also if you buy the sander and vacuum you get a package discount--discounts are normally rare in the Festool world.

Yes you need a vacuum. You can manage with a shopvac--you have to find the right adapter to adapt between Festools 27 mm size and the shopvac size (not too hard to find). The advantage of a Festool dust extractor are the following:
    1. HEPA filtration
    2. Low Noise level
    3. Auto start with the tool

Vijay

the rotex 150 can definitely do more things -- from finish sand to rough shaping almost as fast as a belt sander. that said - it is a beast - 2 handed for most everything and when in the circular mode 2 hands/hold on tight.

i find myself using the ets 150/3 more often these days as it takes a lot less effort to use and you can keep one had free to hold the workpiece, move cords/hoses etc.

I find that if I need < 80 grit I use the RO150 and above the ETS150/3- so think of how often you use grits in those 2 groups to help you steer to one sander or the other

you do not need to have a festool vac to use one of their sanders but you do have to have a vac of some kind or you miss most of the benefit of getting a festool in the 1st place. you can retrofit most any shop vac with an auto start controller so starting the sander starts the vac and festool sells hoses separately - i think you'd at least want on of their hoses as I have never found another vendors hose that attaches as easily & securely to festool tools as one of their own hoses.

final word of caution - think of this as green crack - "dear it's only a simple sander" and next thing you know you are stealing lunch money from your kids to fund your next green purchase....

I use a 150 rotex, Its a great sander for all around, I prefer something smaller for finish sanding. If I had to choose ONLY 1 though, it would be the RO150.

If you already own a shopvac, then use it for now until you can afford to upgrade. If you are going out to buy a new vac. then get a festool ct22, the hepa filters and auto power on features make this a hard combo to beat.

I have a 150/3. I build kayaks for a hobby. The dust collection work fantastic. I have always used a shop vac when sanding., but the adjustable vac is a must. I sand a lot of epoxy and if I keep the vac turned down to 1/2 it cut down on the swirl marks. The paper last longer the what I am use to also.

Good posts here about the sanders. What you'll probably find is the RO150 and the 150/3 compliment each other. I would say having the two with a dust extractor is the perfect setup. I love them both and very happy that I own them.

If money is an issue, then you may need to decide which is more important to you. The 150/3 is an awesome finishing sander, no doubt. The good all around sander is the RO150. You can finish with the RO150, but it's not as nimble because it is larger.

If you can afford getting the dust extractor, then definitely get it with one of the sanders for the discount. If you can't, save up for it later and use a shop vac. It is worth having, so definitely look into it if you can afford one. Dust extractor size is a personal preference. I went with a CT22E because I like the size. Same as the CT33, but a little smaller. The CT33 is pretty big.

Your best bet with the sanders is to find a dealer and use them. That's the way to make an informed choice.
    chris

I have lots of Festool sanders...

..but I suggest you don't limit yourself to just Festool. Before Festools I owned Bosch sanders. Given all the hype I thought Festool sanders were much better, sold the Bosch sanders and got Festool versions. Honestly, I am just not seeing the difference, other than the price that is. For example, I think Bosch 1250DEVS is just as good as the Rotex, and costs less than half the price. Something the consider...

If you are determined to get Festool, for mostly finishing work 150 ETS is a really good sander, if you need to go aggressive then Rotex is great.

No matter which brand sander you choose, definitely hook it up to a good vacuum with variable suction to remove sanding dust.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 05-03-2010 at 8:21 PM.

I use my 150/3 95% of the time. While I really like my Rotex 150, it's a two-hand machine and that's just not what I want for general sanding...I keep it handy for heavy duty jobs where it's unique properties shine and use the 150/3 for everything else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you in advance.
    Hello Jeff-

I was in that same situation a few weeks ago, so I can relate to your connundrum.

My advice is to go to your nearest dealer and test-drive the sanders. I think that when you do, the choice will be much easier to make.

I ended up with an ETS-125. I have always been happy with my old DeWalt 5" ROS, and most of my work is smallish stuff so the smaller sander made sense.

It works marvelously. I didn't realize how much I would benefit from the dust collection until I used this sander at home; I can sand all night and not sneeze or sniffle a bit.

I already had the Festool CT-22 vacuum. While you can adapt most vacuums to the Festool sanders, beware that too much vacuum suction is a bad thing as it pulls the sander down onto the work to firmly. I get the best results with my vacuum dialed down to the lowest suction level. So a full-strength shop vac may be too much.

A modern full-featured shop vac is an immense improvement over the typical "screaming mimi" shop vac that I would urge to consider saving for a nice one -- Festool, Fein, etc. Not only are they super vacs, but they are quiet enough that you don't mind standing next to it.

But to your initial question, I think if you test-drive them at a dealer, your choice will be easier to make. Size, weight and feel are important and catalog descriptions don't always convey all of that info.

-TH

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    ..but I suggest you don't limit yourself to just Festool. Before Festools I owned Bosch sanders. Given all the hype I thought Festool sanders were much better, sold the Bosch sanders and got Festool versions. Honestly, I am just not seeing the difference, other than the price that is. For example, I think Bosch 1250DEVS is just as good as the Rotex, and costs less than half the price. Something the consider...

If you are determined to get Festool, for mostly finishing work 150 ETS is a really good sander, if you need to go aggressive then Rotex is great.

No matter which brand sander you choose, definitely hook it up to a good vacuum with variable suction to remove sanding dust.
    I have looked at the Bosch units (online) and am not 100% opposed to them. I have a jigsaw they make and its fantastic. However, I've read that it gives off more vibration (fatigue causing) and noise than the Festool's, do you agree?

Thank you everyone for your inputs, I know my question wasn't the most "fair" by limiting to one sander, but I find it turns up the contrast on making a selection. Thanks again.

ETS 150/3

Though many won't want to hear it, or accept it the Makita 8040 is a better dual action than the Rotex but either way they both are beasts to handle compared to the ETS 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use my 150/3 95% of the time. While I really like my Rotex 150, it's a two-hand machine and that's just not what I want for general sanding...I keep it handy for heavy duty jobs where it's unique properties shine and use the 150/3 for everything else.

+ 5 on the recommendation for the Rotex 150 and ETS 150/3. The Festool vac's are great too - the overall system is hard to beat.

I have looked at the Bosch units (online) and am not 100% opposed to them. I have a jigsaw they make and its fantastic. However, I've read that it gives off more vibration (fatigue causing) and noise than the Festool's, do you agree?

Thank you everyone for your inputs, I know my question wasn't the most "fair" by limiting to one sander, but I find it turns up the contrast on making a selection. Thanks again.
    As for vibration & noise, I don't think there is a difference between Bosch 1250DEVS and Festool Rotex. Similarly, Bosch 3727DEVS and Festool 150 ETS felt very similar to me. Forgot where the Bosch 3727 was made, but the 1250 was made in Switzerland.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Festool is not good, they are great sanders. I have 5 Festool sanders and I am happy with them. It is just that I don't think they are any or that much better than high quality competing products.

Most hobbyist come from low quality 5" ROS without a vacuum to Festool with vacuum and correctly realize Festool is so much better. It is just that they have no eperience with other high quality 6" sanders coupled with a high quality vacuum (Festool, Fein WAP/Alto) to compare apples to apples.

Slightly off topic. I do not have any Festool sanders yet, however, I purchased the CT33 vac, with the boom arm and then added the Oneida Dust Deputy that was made for the Festool vacs. What a wonderful setup. The boom arm moves the cords and vac hose around over your head as you sand and the DD makes for easy removal of the sawdust. Worth the $$.