Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to remove some light rusting and what looks like tape marks...

This is the stuff I have, that I was wondering if it would work:

It says its a low odor mineral spirits, not to mention it says its a cleaning solvent... but then again, it also says Paint Thinner so I wasnt sure.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about the Rabbits Michael??
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I dont mean to bug, but can anyone tell me whether an SOS pad is acceptable, and whether the stuff I posted will work?

Thanks: Sorry, its just that it has almost been 20 hours... since the last post... and it was about rabbits....

I just bought some more naval jelly over the weekend. Probably the easiest rust removal I've ever done. Wipe on with a papertowel, wait until it changes color and wipe it off. Spray on some windex or other multisurface cleaner to make certain its absolutely clean and then wax.

Mineral spirits or paint thinner will help in getting gunk from tape off. It will not remove rust, but will help to flush off rust that has been removed with elbow grease. WD-40 will also.

Naval jelly, Coke, and most other rust removers have phosphoric acid in them, and will chemically help to remove rust and leave behind a somewhat discolored but corrosion resistant surface. Just make sure to clean off the acid (and perhaps sugar) with water after use, then dry and treat it to protect from water.

For this, Boeshield T-9 is good as it can soak into the pores of the cast iron (yes, it has pores) and prevent corrosion from beginning there. WD-40 will too, but leaves less protection behind as it evaporates. Ordinary furniture wax works well on the surface.

Rockler carries a set with T-9, phosphoric acid-based rust remover, and a solvent-based blade and bit cleaner. It works well.

Well.... I used paintthinner/mineral spirts(says both on the bottle) with an SOS pad to get off some of the easier rust, then covered it with wax from a tea light(this is mostly pariffin)...

Mineral spirts wont take off the painted surface on the castiron right(the sides,I think this is powder coated) I dont think I got any really on there, but just to be sure...

Thanks
    -B

I got one word for you. It's Italian so if you don't know what it means, PM me and I'll explain. The word is "fageddaboudit". Clean off the table with paste wax and steel wool and don't worry about the "color" of the CI. If you insist on having "pristine" work surfaces, you will spend your life trying to polish your tools up and never get any woodworking done...
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-05-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    David DeCristoforo