Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly band saw rolling base recommendation.

Blog Entries

Grizzly band saw rolling base recommendation.

My band saw will be here on Friday. Which rolling base would you feel is a cut above the rest w/o breaking the bank. The band saw weighs about 575 lbs. I don't know the footprint yet. I'll ask Eric G. tonight, he has one.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Some 1x2" steel tube and 4 Woodcraft double locking casters worked for my G0513x2.

I haven't found a store bought base that is worth it's cost.

Blog Entries
    I think I like that more than anything I've seen so far. Almost the same bandsaw too.

I've got a G0514X (19") on a shop fox mobile base. Although I love the saw, the base isn't great. The bolt heads prevent the lower wheel door from being opened, so I have to lean against the saw to tilt it back ever so slightly to open the door so it clears the bolt heads. Easy to overcome though.

The saw is definitely not rock solid even when the mobile base is locked in position on the floor. There is enough flex to allow it to sway when you push against it.

I wish I had the space to put the saw in the middle of the room and bolt it down. That would be ideal!

If you're in a small shop you'd be wise to get a base that will swivel like Cary's caster design. I have a heck of a time parallel parking my bandsaw along the wall. My wife could parallel park my truck faster!

If I could weld I would have one like Matt made with the outrigger casters. I have the same saw as Arron, with a Shop Fox base. Being top heavy the saw still wobbles when pressed on.

Blog Entries
    I saw that. He did a fantastic job. I may have to attempt one like that. I'd really like to make it to fit instead of the off the shelf "one size fits all" stuff out there.

Someone recently posted a pic of a custom base like Cary's, but where the casters are installed, instead they placed another tube across the TOP of the other two installed tubes, then installed Great Lakes casters under those cross-tubes. This allowed a bit more stable platform, increasing the footprint front-to-back where stability problems occur, and allowing the saw to sit lower since the casters aren't directly under the saw.

I THOUGHT it was Glenn Bradley that had this, but I'm not finding it. Saw it just this week, so far it looks the best way to me, was on a 513 or 514.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave,
    I think you might be referring to my custom base for my G0514X2. I used 2x1 1/8" wall steel tubing and used four Great Lakes casters. Works extremely well and adds a lot of stability to the saw, especially when resawing wide stock. I don't move it around the shop much, but when I do, it rolls easily.
    Here is the link to my base build:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119068
    Bandsaw mobile base1_resize.jpg

Bandsaw mobile base5_resize.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Someone recently posted a pic of a custom base like Cary's, but where the casters are installed, instead they placed another tube across the TOP of the other two installed tubes, then installed Great Lakes casters under those cross-tubes. This allowed a bit more stable platform, increasing the footprint front-to-back where stability problems occur, and allowing the saw to sit lower since the casters aren't directly under the saw.

I THOUGHT it was Glenn Bradley that had this, but I'm not finding it. Saw it just this week, so far it looks the best way to me, was on a 513 or 514.

yep, that's the one! Nice job! I think Glenn may have a drillpress base I like that I thought of him.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    Dave,
    I think you might be referring to my custom base for my G0514X2. I used 2x1 1/8" wall steel tubing and used four Great Lakes casters. Works extremely well and adds a lot of stability to the saw, especially when resawing wide stock. I don't move it around the shop much, but when I do, it rolls easily.
    Here is the link to my base build:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119068
    Bandsaw mobile base1_resize.jpg

Bandsaw mobile base5_resize.jpg
    Good job Michael. I actually have 4 of the same casters up in the cabinet that I have been wondering what to do with, and with no welding involved this looks like a fine mobile base.

I copied Micheal's on my GO154x2, it works great. Rustoelum hammered green spray paint is a near perfect match for the Grizzly green.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. It will be here before noon tomorrow. I'll post pics of what I build once it's done.

I wouldn't recommend the ShopFox base grizzly sells with them. I purchased one with my G0555X bandsaw and I am not impressed. The base was larger than the footprint of the saw and I had to cut it down, plus it isn't very stable.

The saw is nice though.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 05-07-2010 at 2:24 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Grizz sells a 'super heavy duty base' for $90 that has metal wheels and two levelling screws beside the swivel casters. I have it on my 21" grizz and I can push it around my concrete floor with one hand (700lb saw). I can't help but recommend it.

-Brian
    Last edited by Brian Kincaid; 05-07-2010 at 9:39 AM. Reason: got carried away with wheeels :)