Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Dewalt DW735 - 2 questions

I bought this and thought it did a really good job on the chips. I spews fine dust, but at least you won't need a broom and shovel to pick up the chips. This is true until the bag decides to suddenly pop off the trash can, blowing dust and chips all over the place. The fan is really strong so the bag inflates with alot of pressure. Eventually I got a DC anyway, but the fan assist is great as a booster, helping to get the chips evacuated from the planer. I really like the flex hose too, I wish I knew where to buy more of it. It's very flexible and compresses to a very short length.

David

I'll second what others have said about the bag - it works pretty well but the air has to come out someplace, which is why the bag lets some dust out. I tried the shop vac route as well before I got a real DC and I prefer the bag to the vac.

Blog Entries
    how long is the hose that comes with that bag? is the stock hose permanently attached
    to the bag or can a longer hose be added? and should a longer hose be added or is the
    stock hose just right for the force of the chip blower?

Check Amazon, they sell teh hose/bag, and they have the user comments. I find it very handy for making decisions.
    I've tried using a shop vac, and the planer does blow the hose off of mine when the filter starts to get colgged up. You can also just get a 4" hose and use the planer for a mulch spreader.

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the help everyone, i appreciate it!
    i checked my tables today and seen how each one were two piece and how
    they were adjustable. i think they are set pretty good from the factory as they angle
    up just a hair at the outer ends.

and i also pulled the trigger and ordered the chip bag today from tools-plus for $40
    http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw7353.html
    so i look forward to trying that out but will need to buy a new garbage can first.

Blog Entries
    i got the dewalt hose/bonnet chip collector the other day along with a new
    heavy duty garbage can, but i had to get one of my ratchet straps to wrap around
    the rim of the can over the top of the bonnet and ratchet it tight otherwise chips
    would blow out from under the bonnet.
    i did have to tape up the hose a bit to shorten it cause i have the can right next to
    my planer but overall im happy and it works good and it was a cheap fix.

Kevin, I also had a small shop, its on one side of our basement which made dust collection from my 735 difficult because of space. I then purchased a Delta AP300 Portable DC and hooked the hose from it directly to the 735. Worked terrfic for 3 or 4 years untill I asked for and got permission to use the entire basement for a shop. I now have it hooked to a Oneida V3000 which solved many dust problems. In fact, if you were interested in the Delta I would gladly let you try it to see if it would solve your space problem. I plan on selling it in the near future anyway.

The fan in the 735 is plenty powerful - it extracts the chips from the machine quite well. My advice after trying a "cyclone lid" is don't bother, it's waste of time and money. I built a Phil Thein baffle to fit into my trash can chip container (at the end of the little DeWalt 735 photo essay), and that works quite well. It also collects the big chips and passes the finer dust right on through. The shorter the hose, the better the chip extraction will work...

If you have never used a DC with a planer, give it some thought. My DC collects 99.8 % (give or take) of the debris from my planer. And that is a lot of chips once you fire up a planer. I cannot imagine using it without a DC or trying to blow it into a can.

Blog Entries
    i have a brand new Jet DC1100 but i really dont have a place for it. i should run some
    tubing throughout the shop and during the summer i could set the DC outside my door
    and plug a short piece of tubing into the duct work and see how that goes.

i would like to save up for a small metal shed to store my wood in just outside my shop
    and then cut a hole in both to run a tube through to connect the DC in the shed with
    tubing in the shop?