Thread: Top coat has dull tacky spots...need help

Top coat has dull tacky spots...need help

I'm just finishing up my first project (jewelry box) if you don't count what I did in shop class 35 yrs ago. Caribbean Rosewood with BLO then spray shellac then realized that my wife will keep this on the bathroom counter so I put a wipe on urethane topcoat over the shellac and now I have several spots that remain tacky even after a couple days while everything else is great. tried several coats...sanded in between (320) still same. Sanded again tried Minwax wipe on poly (sorry Scott Holmes) with same result although this time not tacky but still dull. Different locations with different grain...not sure if it's the oil in the rosewood or somewhere I did something wrong ??? I'm beginning to think I need to sand back down to no finish and start over.

Any suggestions would sure be helpful since Mother's Day is quickly approaching!

Yes, the oils in rosewood will interfere with the drying of oil based finishes. You will have to strip the finish off and start over.

Get the old finish off and re-sand the surface. Buy a can of Zinnser Spray Can Shellac which works well as a barrier coat. Spray on two coats and do not sand between coats or after the last coat. Apply a coat of your final finish. When dry, lightly sand the surface with 320 paper being sure not to sand through the finish. After sanding apply a couple of more coats and you should be ready for the accolades.
    Howie.........

[QUOTE=Howard Acheson;1415489]Yes, the oils in rosewood will interfere with the drying of oil based finishes. You will have to strip the finish off and start over.

Thanks Howie. Did this on a small area that was affected and it looks like it should do the trick. must have sanded through the original coats of shellac in a few spots during top coat application. Live and learn.

Marc