Thread: Tool Company Directory?

Tool Company Directory?

Does anyone know of one? As in who makes or owns what brands?

Like B&D, DeWalt, PC and Delta are all the same company, vastly different quality. Or Skil and Bosch are from the same company. Or Ryobi and Rigid. Jet and Powermatic. I heard recently that Fein was or has been brought out by B&D as well.

I don't but wish I did.

I thought of making one up but didn't get to far with the project.

Actually I don't think it's accurate to say "xxx, yyy, zzz are all the same company". In most cases, these companies started out separate and built themselves up, then LATER got acquired. Just because a company is OWNED by another does not really mean it's the "same" company. Only when the gaining company closes down the purchased company and merely used the BRAND NAME for marketing is it accurate to call them the same.

In fact, quite often companies maintain completely separate production facilities, resource/supply pipelines, marketing relationships, etc. All the people who may have built the different companies up, worked the floor and manufacturing, usually come with the company, and different worker groups if kept separate can result in vastly different products.

It is a real over-simplification to merely track final/overall ownership and say, "THAT is the real company". Some guy in Phoenix owns a basketball team, a baseball team, and a football team say. He holds them all in an over-arching corporation, "WMH SportTeams"... does that mean they're really all one team? No, obviously not. They maybe employ a single accounting pipeline, a single pay company, maybe a single HR section. Maybe they share a single Marketing and Ticket Sales organization, maybe they use one charter/transportation service, maybe one legal staff, in fact maybe EVERYTHING has been consolidated for economies of scale and non-replication of effort EXCEPT the coaches and players... yet still, they are NOT one team creating one sneakily mis-labeled sports product.

Just a thought. In some cases maybe they DID close down everything and merely print a different brandname on 50% of the product off a line.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I agree with what you're saying. It's true in most cases just because a few brands are owned by the same company, they are not of the same quality.

But I've also worked in the production environment, products made for one brand and another and another on the same line. Same thing. Only thing that wasn't the same, QC standards. In this case glue. It was the same stuff but under the lower QC label it was half the price. Did it make a difference? Sometimes maybe setup time was a little slower or the label wasn't on perfectly straight but really, no it didn't.

I guess that would be the point, take Craftsman and Husky. Same thing. I'm not trying to say all this is bad because Black and Decker owns it. I'm saying; Where does it come from before it gets it's label applied? My Ryboi isn't a Rigid but it has the exact same laser system and that part of it is top notch.

Yep, I'm interested in this too--just wanted to get my caveat out there
    =======
    WMH--Wilton, Jet, Powermatic.
    ===========
    ACM--Bridgewood band saws, Laguna band saws, Felder.
    Bridgewood Bandsaw Info? - Sawmill Creek

16 posts - 8 authors - Last post: Dec 8, 2003
    Bridgewood bandsaws are built in Italy by ACM. ACM also builds the bandsaws sold by Laguna and Felder. The saws from all three retailers are ...
    www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5247
    ===========
    EMERSON Electric
    Emerson Electric owns Ridge Tool and the "Ridgid" brand name. Emerson also makes some (but not all) of the tools sold under the "Craftsman" brand. As pointed out in the Emerson news release, the new "Orange" Ridgid tool line is made under license by TekTronics International (TTI) which is based in Hongkong. TTI is the parent company of Ryobi and One World Technologies (OWT).OWT designs and manufactures the TTI brands according to TTI news release. Ryobi also makes some (but not all) of the power tools sold under the "Craftsman" name. To continue the "marriage", if you call Craftsman's service line, you will be talking to Ryobi Technical Support people.
    =================

TTI Techtronic Industries Co.
    • Milwaukee
    • AEG
    • Ryobi
    • Stiletto
    • Homelite
    • Vacuums - Hoover, Dirt Devil and VAX

Black & Decker
    • Dewalt
    • Porter-Cable
    • Delta

Pentair, Inc as of 2004
    • Joinery Industrial

Robert Bosch GmbH / LLC
    Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
    • Bosch
    • Skil
    • Dremel
    • RotoZip
    • Vermont American
    • Gilmour

Walter Meier Holding owns/created
    WMH Tool Group which in turn owns
    • JET
    • POWERMATIC
    • PERFORMAX
    • WILTON

TTS Tooltechnic Systems
    • Festool
    • Protool
    • Schneider
    • Tanos

Illinois Tool Works
    • Paslode
    • Ramset
    • Red Head
    • Buildex
      - E-Z Ancor
      - Tapcon
      - Trugrip
      - Teks
      - Dec-King & Rock-On

Self Owned with out any subsidiaries
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028