Thread: Using Teak on a Childs Table...

Using Teak on a Childs Table...

A friend of mine called me b/c he and his wife are looking to buy a teak outdoor table and use it inside for a play table and such…I told him that I didn’t know much about it being used indoors. I do however know about its resistance to rot b/c of its naturals oils. Is this safe for kids to be playing on and even eating on??

Also, what would be a good finish to use? Waterlox?

Thanks,

John G

As far as I know teak is safe. I used it to make a crib for my daughter. Where I come from we use it more for indoor rather than outdoor furniture including dining tables and kitchen cabinets.

My concern would be the finish that the table comes with. I would not use a table that finished with one of the outdoor teak oils for a childrens table unless it was sealed with polyurathane or lacquer first.

MK

I've worked with teak extensively in my boat carpentry work (used to do a lot of it). Never heard anyone suggest it was harmful in any way (I guess if you ate it maybe). Made entire boat interiors with the stuff. Has a nice smell...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post
    As far as I know teak is safe. I used it to make a crib for my daughter. Where I come from we use it more for indoor rather than outdoor furniture including dining tables and kitchen cabinets.

My concern would be the finish that the table comes with. I would not use a table that finished with one of the outdoor teak oils for a childrens table unless it was sealed with polyurathane or lacquer first.

MK
    As John said, teak wood is safe. The shop I was involved with made lots of teak items for custom yacht builders. We finished them with either marine varnish or "teak oil". Teak oil is nothing more than an oil/varnish mixture virtually identical to "Danish Oil". Both are made with linseed oil, some pure tung oil, some varnish and a thinner like mineral spirits. Sometimes there is a dab of UV inhibitors but not enough to make any real difference. Nothing special and nothing dangerous as long as the finish has dried and cured.

The one thing you do have to pay attention to is that the natural oils in teak can affect the adherence of a film finish. Poly, because off it's weaker adherence factor is best avoided. A non-poly varnish is better. Also, it's best to wipe down the surface with lacquer thinner and dry with paper towels keeping a fresh face on the towel. This will remove the natural oil and help adherence of a film finish.
    Howie.........

Thanks guys...Then Waterlox would be a nice choice for finishing??

I have some left over that I want to use before it goes bad.

John G

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Also, it's best to wipe down the surface with lacquer thinner and dry with paper towels keeping a fresh face on the towel. This will remove the natural oil and help adherence of a film finish.

Or Acetone, IIRC.

Why not just finish it with marine varnish? It's made for teak, and it comes in a variety of gloss, flat etc. Really good stuff. Wiping with acetone about ten minutes before the first coat is probably not a bad idea, and I always sand lightly between coats. Another option is the West System epoxy finish that is made for teak. Rock solid, but a little finnicky to work with.

I probably wouldnt lick it.... but, its probably not too too bad for em.... I would just beware of the water relanance, since that usually is indicative of a natural oil, which in turn could stain clothes if they were to rub up against it... this though is assuming that it isnt properly finished/isnt finished.