Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these yellow marks...

What are these yellow marks...

I read something that said to leave the wax on for a couple min before buffing out. So I let it sit for 5 or so minutes, and when I went down, much to my dismay, I found these yellow marks....

Is it ALREADY rusting from the wax(I used an auto wax, since it was the only thing I could find)!?!?!

Quickest answer gets a cookie... jk...

Thanks\

This was all buffed out before the wax went on, all the rust turned back(it was a rust converter) applyed liberlly and left over night)
    Attached Images Attached Images

before I forget, its got canubus wax in it....

First off, most auto waxes have silicone that can reek havoc on any finish. that's why most woodworkers, myself included never let it near woodworking machinery. I use Johnson past wax.
    It's hard to tell from the pictures but the yellow spots might actually be rust from moisture in the auto wax.
    Strip off the auto wax with some mineral spirits and get some Johnson paste wax.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

#$!@ rusted already.... dang... I just derusted the darned thing....

Well, Guess its to stripping.... maybe Ill just use my tea lights... since they are parafrin...

Tea lights? You're not talking about paraffin oil, are you? That's not paraffin wax. Paraffin oil is kerosene (mostly North America says kerosene...most others say paraffin). Don't use kerosene.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Brendon

It got right past them.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Brendon

It got right past them.
    What got past whom?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Tea lights? You're not talking about paraffin oil, are you? That's not paraffin wax. Paraffin oil is kerosene (mostly North America says kerosene...most others say paraffin). Don't use kerosene.
    Actually, I should clarify. I believe "liquid paraffin" is kerosene, and paraffin oil is mineral oil, but it escapes me at the moment how it goes, and I haven't even had any wine tonight! Don't use mineral oil either....lol. Nothing bad will happen, but it won't get you the surface you want.

This is one of those cases where the specific type of wax is very important. The Johnson's paste wax everyone uses is a solvent base and contains no water. Carnauba wax alone is not bad, but in an automotive wax it is blended with both water and silicone which are components of most automotive waxes.

Yea, Im refering to a candle.... small ones are called tea lights...

I had a nice shinney surface... now back to trying to reachieve that... and I am not the most happy...

It is nice to have that nice shiny surface but it isn't likely to last very long.

With wax for machines it really does matter. Candles won't work well, neither will most auto wax. Pony up the $5 and get some johnson's paste wax, available at most hardware and grocery stores.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I put a layer(like dripping wet amount) of WD-40 on it , for now, that should hold the rust away, right?

I didnt wipe it down, so its pretty much a giant puddle...

Is this okay? I do plan to get some paste wax *hopefully* tommorrow.....

I just dont want to wake up to a giant rust bucket..... Will this work?

Brendan, unless you live in a rain forest that should hold you overnight.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

>>>> (I used an auto wax, s

Bad, bad, bad. Never use an auto wax. First, auto wax may contain silicone which will raise all sorts of problems when it comes to finishing. But, in your case the other problem is that auto wax contains water which is added to the wax to make it easier to apply. Water is no problem on top of car finishes but it's an immediate rust starter on cast iron.

If you want to apply a wax, use a furniture paste wax. Brands to look for are Johnson Paste Wax (most popular), Minwax Paste Wax, Trewax and others.

Now you will have to de-rust the surface. You may be able to use a green Scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits. Apply the MS and rub with the pad. Keep the surface wet with the MS and keep rubbing until the rust is gone. Wipe the surface dry with lots of paper towels. Give it an hour to fully dry and then apply one of the waxes above. Apply the wax with 4/0 steel wool or a gray Scotchbrite pad for a final clean up. Let it dry to a haze and then buff.
    Howie.........

Yeah, Tony, I caught that too.

I believe any time you use canibus, you'll get waxed and rusted.
    I drink, therefore I am.