Thread: Rockwell 14 bandsaw problems

Rockwell 14 bandsaw problems

I bought this 14 inch Rockwell bandsaw (28-243) off Craigslist yesterday. I got it home and found a few things that seem not to be right. The tire is loose on the bottom wheel, can this be fixed with adhesive. Coplanar; a four foot level will hit the bottom wheel and the bottom of the top wheel and has a 3/32 gap at the top. Should the bottom wheel be shimmed out. The measurements were taken with a blade tensioned. There is a mobile device attached to the base. It has a foot lever that rotates a cam shaft that pushes down some casters. I don't think these are the right casters. It has a 3/4 hp Baldor motor, could that be original? When did The Rockwell name change to Delta. Does the serial number contain a date code?
    Cannon
    Attached Images Attached Images

For dating go here
    http://wiki.owwm.com/%28X%281%29S%28...umber_List:__5

The wheel doesn't look original but does look similar.

Worry about coplaner after you've used the saw. You have a nice saw there.

Thanks Mark
    This machine has a Pittsburgh serial number tag. The number begins 84M, M does not seem to be shown as a valid month code. Anyway sometime around 84 is close enough.
    Cannon

You should expect to replace the loose tire. That's a normal wear item. The newer urethane tires are excellent.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of being fully co-planer. Remember, the upper wheel is designed to tilt to adjust tracking of blades, It just can't always be co-planar. Start to worry shimming if you end up with a significant blade drift, with a good blade, that adjusting the tension and where on the wheels the blade tracks doesn't moderate.

Does your saw have the riser block? It can be useful to have, with virtually no downside, except you need longer blades. Best to get it done early before you have built up a stock of the shorter blades.

By the way, this saw was designed as a Delta saw when Delta was an independent company, Rockwell bought Delta and owned it for a time, then sold it off where the Delta brand was used again by the new owners.

If this is your first band saw, the first thing to do is to purchase either Mark Duginske's Complete Guide to the Band Saw or Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book. Amazon will have them. It will tell you how to set up and align your saw. The will tell you about band saw blades and which one to use for different cuts.

Specifically, to your questions. Band saw tires are replaceable items. When they get loose or fall off they are telling you to replace the tires. The tires are not, and should not, be glued to the wheels. Many folks buy urethane tires as replacements. They should last almost forever unlike the OEM rubber tires.

Every you describe sounds and looks like OEM equipment. That saw model has been around almost forever. The 3/4 hp motor is standard.

Rockwell changed to Delta in 1984, I believe. You can go to this site for some history: http://www.owwm.com/home.aspx
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 05-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Specifically, to your questions. Band saw tires are replaceable items. When they get loose or fall off they are telling you to replace the tires. The tires are not, and should not, be glued to the wheels. Many folks buy urethane tires as replacements. They should last almost forever unlike the OEM rubber tires.

Rockwell changed to Delta in 1984, I believe. You can go to this site for some history: http://www.owwm.com/home.aspx
    Although I agree that Charles probably needs new tires, I disagree about gluing. I don't know about urethane tires, but rubber tires need to be glued on. A good contact cement works fine.

Do your wheels have a crown in them? If they do NOT, I'd strongly suggest getting rubber tires and then putting a crown on the tire. The blade won't track well without a crown. Urethane tires are usually too thin to put a crown on them.

If you do go with rubber tires, check out this thread on OWWM.org. It has many links embedded on installing and crowning bandsaw tires:
    http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73266

Kirk

This is my third bandsaw, a fact my wife pointed out to me. I have a Craftsman/Emerson 12 and a old model Grizzly 18. This one will replace the Craftsman. I had ordered Mike D's original bandsaw book before I found this saw, should be here this week. The rubber tire doesn't "look" worn to me and there id crown in it. I tried to take a picture of where the blade is running on the bottom wheel when it is centered on the top and a profile of the crown. They didn't turn out very well.
    Thanks
    Cannon

Charles: I am the original owner of a Delta/Rockwell 14" BS, Model 28.240, S/N L19884, with an OEM 3/4 HP motor, which was an "upgrade" if I recall correctly. When I bought it, there was another unit on the floor with a 1/2 HP motor. That design is a classic and will work very well if adjusted properly.

As for the coplanar adjustment, there is wing nut and a thumb screw to adjust the upper wheel. Mine is 'dead nuts' on. Loosen the wing nut and then adjust the thumb screw in or out to adjust wheel. Once coplanar, tighten thumb screw.

The manual that I have is dated 10-1-1980, part no 426-02-651-0007.
    I couldn’t find the exact o manual on-line, but this one has the same part number as my manual. I think that for minor manufacturing variances, it is still the same basic saw.

http://www.owwm.com/mfgIndex/pubdetail.aspx?id=2764
    The tires look OEM and are probably dried out. I recommend urethane tires.

How are the guide blocks? I removed the OEM guide blocks and tried "Cool Blocks", then went to Iturra Design roller blocks, but I still wasn't happy with the performance. Finally, I replaced the tires with Carter Products urethane tires and installed Carter guide blocks. Dramatic increase in performance and haven’t regretted spending the money for the upgrades.

Ray, did you ever see one with this type of built in caster system. It's a little odd but I think it could be handy with better casters.
    Cannon

I have one with that caster system. They are very desirable on any delta machine. They weren't the most durable of wheels though.

I recall seeing the Delta retractable casters, especially on the older model contractors saw. When I bought my Delta contractors saw --circa 1982 -- I almost ordered a set of Delta's retractable casters.

If I recall correctly, Delta sold them in various configurations for several machines with the open base.

Now, I am not sure if what you have are the Delta casters. I recall that the Delta casters were retractable, but I can't recall what they exactly looked like. For some reason, a steel wheel -- not plastic or rubber--comes to mind.

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/1141/3159.pdf

But look at the caster wheel and stem here:
    http://www.owwm.com/pubs/1141/2126.pdf

Tire Crowning

I use my table saw to put a crown on the rubber tires.Cement???Use 3M's black Weatherstrip Adhesive.I had the urthane tires before and had trouble w/tracking so I change them out to rubber.On 14" BS get the wheels as close to coplan as possible,crown the tires(do both)should be good to go for the next 10plus yrs.
    First pic is how not to crown tires and in the second pic is how to crown correct.IMO of course---Carroll

I have one too, different model no. (28-243), but mine only has 1/2 hp, and I believe it's original. My switch is mounted on the stand, right about where that hole in your stand is.

My 28-243 is one of the first to carry a Delta label rather than Rockwell in 1986. Totally identical to yours, except mine was sold with no motor or electricals at a *bargain* price by Seven Corners Ace Hardware, St.Paul, MN @ $440 new. That BS was offered with a Baldor 3/4 hp motor upgrade; 1/2 hp was standard. My 14" BS is the only machine I ever bought NEW!

The wheels have a crown cast into them, so crowning flat tires comes automatically. Gluing tires on is a must!

That retractable caster kit was a Rockwell accessory wayy before HTC began making welded tricycle bases.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

One advantage with new soft tires is that they provide dampeing to the blade which helps to achieve smooth cuts, so even if a tire is not worn, it can get hard with time and needs replacing.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...43&cat=1,41036
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.