Thread: The dust goes where??

The dust goes where??

I have a single stage Jet dust collector with the quilted thing on top for filtration. But every time I clean the unit or change the bag or notice that the bag is not filling up like it should I find that all the debris packed into the top filter and yes I do rotate the thing inside every time I use the unit and beat the sides of the upper filter etc and the dust still goes up and stays there.

Any suggestions as to what am I doing wrong or is this just the nature of single stage dust collection?

Is it possible that the ~8" high drum with the air ramp was installed upside down???? this is the piece that the outlet from the blower would connect to, usually a plastic bag on the lower end and the filter cannister on the upper.

You can add a Thien seperator right inside that metal bag ring - this will significantly help keep most of the "stuff" in the lower bag.

Or you can add a Thien pre separator on a trash can, barrel, or what have you in line before the DC to keep the junk from getting there in the first place... I've got one for my Harbor Freight DC and it works great!

Yes, what you are experiencing is part and parcel of using a single stage dust collector. Effectively a separator turns your DC into a more or less 2 stage machine...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I use a separator and vent the DC through the wall to the outside. No more bags!!!
    We live in a rural area. No one complains.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Thanks all and I will definitely try the Thein baffle, which I found in another post as to how to make and install one between the lower bag and upper filter - I think that will do the trick.