Thread: jet 20 inch bandsaw jwbs-20-1

jet 20 inch bandsaw jwbs-20-1

Hi I"m a new member and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the older jet bandsaw I recently bought. its and older model painted in blue not white as the newer model saws are. I just got it home last weekend and have ordered a new blade as the old one is shot. I was wondering if I should upgrade to a set of carter guides? this saw already has a set of bearing guides presently but not sure about the adjustments on them, the saw came with no manual. I just downloaded one from the internet but it appears to be a later model year then the one I have is,
    however other then the fence this all looks to be the same. anyone have any experience with this model this is actually my first bandsaw and I want to set this up correctly . I plan to do mostly resaw work with it for pannels for bookcase doors and cabinets I build I'm tired of using just stock 1/4 inch plywood and would very much like to bookmatch wood for the doors I make. thanks in advance for any help mark trhornberry

I had a WHITE 18" Jet saw in the toolmaker's shop for a time. I had decided that there wasn't room for our old 20" Delta.

I don't know if this applies to your saw or not. I found that unless the Jet was shimmed on all bottom corners on the floor,it was very easy to flex if you pushed on the saw fairly gently. The blade would move in and out of the bearing when you pushed the upper housing of the bandsaw.

I also hated the European style guides. They were slightly out of line. They required lubrication,and the lower guides were impossible to get at to oil the bronze bushings. I also felt that they were generally in the way. I replaced them with Carter guides.

Hopefully,your 20" is sturdier than the 18" was.