Thread: Resawing

Resawing

I have traditionally bought 1/2" wide 3 TPI blades (premium brand) to resaw with. I have been somewhat disappointed in speed and life. On a whim, I used a 3/16" x 3tpi blade which was in the saw the other day and got more pleasing results.
    I am considering trying a 3/8 blade instead of the 1/2"?
    Comments?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Blog Entries
    It is probably the result of higher tension being applied to the thinner band. I like the 1/2" blade because at least in theory it can't deviate from the cut line as quickly due to the band width. However if the saw doesn't tension it properly then it will tend to bow and wander in the middle of the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think Lee has the answer. What saw are you using?

I've hear of many people using a 3/8", or even a 1/4" to resaw, with good results. Whatever works, eh?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I think Lee has the answer. What saw are you using?
    Grizzly 14" G0457. Can y'all comment on how to properly tension the blade? I realize the scale on the saw is probably not that accurate.
    Tom

Lee's got it.

If the saw is tuned and the blade tensioned properly, the width of the blade isn't an issue for quality of cut.
    I know one Creeker that uses a 3/8" blade on a 36" Yates, and that monster could tension just about any blade properly.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Grizzly 14" G0457. Can y'all comment on how to properly tension the blade? I realize the scale on the saw is probably not that accurate.
    On my 14" Delta there are graduated marks on the spring for tension for various sized bands. What I've found works best for me on this saw is to tension one mark higher than the size of the band.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Tension Meter/scale

I use a tension meter placed on the blade. Do not use the one on the machine at all.
    I am thinking that 11 is a quiver full.....

The gauge is a reference point, at best.
    I use the flutter method, then mark the gauge for the blade.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The gauge is a reference point, at best.
    I use the flutter method, then mark the gauge for the blade.
    I assume the "flutter method" is the one that Timberwolf (Suffolk Machine) advocates?
    Tom