Thread: Flat bottom cutting dado blade recommendations

Flat bottom cutting dado blade recommendations

Hi everyone,

About 5 months ago I spent some time and built a finger joint jig for my tablesaw. I had just purchased a Delta Dado set on close out from the now defunct Woodworker's Warehouse (got it for 50% off) and thought the addition of the box joint jig would compliment this blade set.

While I was impressed with the cut, I was not too happy to see the little "v-grove" that the ATB (Alternate Tooth Bevel) blade made at the side of every dado! This pretty much renders this dado set useless for decorative joints.

Anybody have a recommendation for a dado blade set that will cut true, flat bottom dados? And not break the bank? I figure I'd like to stay in the $100 to $150 range if possible.
    Dominic Greco

Dom, I guess my reply yesterday took a wrong turn and must be out in space somewhere.
    Have you thought about taking your blade to your sharpener and getting it knocked down a bit so it gives the cut you want?
    Would sure be cheaper than getting a new one.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I picked up the Freud 8" Super Dado on Amazon last year. It was on sale and I had a $25 off. It has an awesome cut, flat bottom, smooth and no chipping in the veneer layer of the Plywood I have cut to date. I know a lot of folks get the 6" because you rarely need the extra depth if ever.

Freud make a set called the "Professional Dado" that's about 1/2 the price, but only has 2 wing chippers compared to 4 wing and only 12 teeth in the side cutters compared to 24 in the Super.

My $.02

Like Hal, I also have the Frued Super Dado but the 6" rather than the 8" It delivers a nice smooth cut.
    Dan McLaughlin

Dom -

I have the Freud 6". Make the cuts just fine. Read somewhere that the side cutters must be a little bit bigger than the chippers to score the wood at the edge of the cut to prevent tear out. Say .002" or so. If you look real close at a cut from the Freud set you can see the little V gooves, but otherwise they don't show.

Regards,
    Ted